Making a sea glass resin table

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Donna:

I would like to make a sea glass design on a large table. Since the glass has uneven edges, is there any advice you can offer. Should I glue to glass down first? Should I put wax paper around the edges? What should I create around the edge of the table to give a smooth edge which will be higher than the sea glass?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Donna,

I would expect the glass would be heavy enough that it wouldn’t float while you are pouring the resin. It may, however, shift while you pour. Gluing the pieces down isn’t a bad idea.

As for the edges, I would suggest either a quality masking tape or clear packing tape. The resin won’t stick to the tape and you can remove it after it has cured.

Penny

If you will be glueing sea glass, or any glass where you can see through to the bottom, be very, very light on the glue, otherwise you will see the glob of glue underneath. Since its a large surface perhaps a spray adhesive with a very light touch? I would experiment first.

CABRINI RUDNICK

I am still not clear on what resin to use for a window frame that will use decorative shells and sea glass as the design medium. This will be an indoor piece that would be placed in a window for decorative purposes but would not replace a real window. The frame has “edges” so would I use a doming resin since the resin would be contained within the frame? Also, if I wanted to use sand in the piece could I apply the sand after I pour the resin so it sits on top of the resin as opposed to pouring resin on top of sand? I would think that would cause the sand to just spread all over the piece? Thanks for your help!!!!

Terri Belcher

I attended a local art class where we used picture frames that the edges were sealed on the back with glue. We then mixed resin and poured onto the inside of the frame and used a card to level it out to all edges. We then added sand, crushed glass, sea shells, jewelry and then let it cure overnight.

Do you have any tutorials for this project? I looked under the seaglass table and the beach picture frame, but they are not the same.

Thank you!
      Terri Belcher

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Terri,

We don’t but that’s a great suggestion!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Making a sea glass resin table’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube