Making coasters heat proof

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Di Lawson.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Di Lawson

Hi, please help…Im pretty new to resin and have been using water clear polyester and trying to make coasters, but even after curing for at least a month, when I put a cup of tea on them the mug leaves a mark and spoils the look of them. I’m stick of sanding them down. I’ve tried a gloss acrylic varnish and even engine lacquer, but still the marks…..I did read on a forum about something “bondi” glue or something similar……….any suggestions very welcome.
      Thanks
      Di

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Di,

It’s been my experience that a hot mug straight from the microwave or with extremely hot liquid leaves marks on coasters. Polyester does cure quite hard, however, and I would haven’t expected as many problems with that kind of resin. Are you sure it’s fully curing?

Di Lawson

Hi Katherine
        Thanks for your reply and love you’re creations!
        Yes I think they’re curing, I’ve been leaving them about a week before sanding, but then I’m getting finger marks on where my fingers have been. Also, what would I pack my pieces in to take them anywhere, as when I’ve tried, I wrapped them in a towel and the towel left imprints on the resin. I also tried bubble wrap which did the same. I know it sounds like they’re not curing…..?????

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Are you leaving fingerprints and lint on the surface exposed to air during curing or on a different surface?

Di Lawson

On all the surfaces. They aren’t sticky as such, except the exposed part, just if I’m handling them too long, when sanding the bottoms.
            What do you use to wrap them in when you send them out, please?
            Thanks
            Di

Di Lawson

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. I’ve not heard of glassine paper and will check it out, along with the link.
      All the best
      Di

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Making coasters heat proof’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube