Making of a photo pen

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Chris

Hello Everyone,

Let me first start by saying I am brand new to resin in general. I just got in to pen making and had a project in mind but I’m not sure how to accomplish my end goal. Basically, for those not familiar, when making a pen you need a piece of material of sufficient size that needs to have a hole drilled in the middle so a brass insert can be glued inside, in this case 7mm. What I want to do is encapsulate a photo into the top part of the pen. Here’s my idea, and being new I could be totally off so please bear with me. I was going to start with a wooden dowel say 8 or 9mm and glue and seal a photo to the dowel. Cast the dowel with photo attached in resin and allow to dry to turn on the lathe. What I cant figure out is how to get the dowel centered in the mold. If I place the dowel with the photo in the mold I am assuming it would either float or sink. If anyone could give me some advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Chris,

If you have a large enough mold, whether or not your pen blank is in the center is likely irrelevant. You can saw off the excess once you have demolded your wood and resin piece, then put it on a lathe. I have never worked wood and resin like this, but I’m guessing it’s no different than a wood worker finding a section of wood they like, cutting it out then working it on a lathe. Am I making any sense?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Making of a photo pen’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube