Making resin coasters

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Tom:

I will be placing an order, soon, for some round and square coaster molds. My question is this. Can I pour some resin in the mold, let it cure, then add a decal on that resin base and then fill the mold the rest of the way? Will you see a seam between the two pours?

Also, is there any way to help the curing time along a little faster? How many mold types do you offer?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Tom,

Yes, you can pour the resin and add the decal as above, but you will see line between the layers. If you wait until the first layer starts to gel, and not fully cure, you can add your decal, pour the next layer and the line should be minimized or gone altogether.

You can speed up the curing time of a resin by putting it in a resin ‘hot box’. You can see an example of one here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/resin-casting-in-cold-weather We have several plastic coaster molds here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/molds/coaster Molds 431 and 584 are most popular.

Good luck!

Joanne

If you put down the decal after the first layer has started to gel, don’t you run the risk of mucking up that first layer specially when you are smoothing over the decal to make sure there are no bubbles?

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

If you are extra careful and don’t push on the sticker, you should be able to do it without messing up the first layer. That certainly doesn’t mean that you may need a time to two to practice first. *wink*

Jean saunders

I am going to make resin coasters using alcohol ink. I love the swirly effect where the colors run into each other. Can I use another medium for white. Say Acrylic paint?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

No, it’s my understanding the white alcohol ink works best.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Making resin coasters’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube