Making window panes

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

Hi,

Im not a jewelry maker so this may be out of your area of expertise but if you have time to read this email, Id be very grateful.

Let me first explain my craft project and tell you that Ive never tried it.  I have several old multi-pane windows like this image:

This may be somewhat misleading since the clear panes on this image have been replaced with mirrors. My project uses normal single pane clear glass.

I will lay my old window on a level (horizontal) surface, distribute various thin craft materials (probably none over 1/8th inch)  such as beach glass, and clear broken glass in most, if not all, of the separate panes. Then I will seal them with a liquid plastic to just cover the craft material(s).

3 QUESTIONS:

The product I bought may not be a “resin”!  I bought EasyCast Epoxy because it requires a 50/50 mixture; I worried about using the correct amount of hardener in what I understand to be a true “resin”. Is there a significant difference in the final result between these 2 products?

(        )   Yes, they are very different in the final form.
      (       ) No they are essential the same in the final form.

=====================================================================================================

For my project, please tell me if either is better for outdoor use: _________

=====================================================================================================

I saw one of your YouTube Vids. about removing bubbles. Here is your URL for many more of your YouTube Vids:
      http://www.youtube.com/user/ResinObsession/videos?view=0

Would you recommend 2 or 3 that would be helpful in making my pour?

======================================================================================================

Thank you for your time and trouble. If you have any other important caveats you think I should consider, please send them to me

Katherine Swift

Hi Marcel,

Yes, Easy cast resin is an epoxy resin.  You can read here on our blog about the different types of resin:  https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/what-are-the-different-types-of-resin/

I don’t necessarily understand your first question.  Each resin has its own mixing properties and ratios.  Follow the label directions carefully.  If you have questions about the resin, contact the place where purchased the resin or the manufacturer for special instructions.

I don’t recommend an epoxy resin for outdoor use.  It’s soft compared to other resins.  You may want to consider a polyester resin if you’re going to keep your finished project outside, but polyester resin has its own challenges:  https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/what-kind-of-resin-should-i-use/

We also have a video on how to mix epoxy resin: 

https://youtu.be/G5tzNIEdEtE

Cathy Clifford

Hi, I really need your help. I make vintage windows with old plates and dishes on them. I use pro – marine tabletop epoxy. After the resin has cured, several weeks later I have found some cracks in a few panes. Can you tell me why????? Help?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I have not used that resin, but it sounds like the resin/window was able to move/bend and cracked.

Billie Williams

Hey, I was wondering if you can give me some suggestions. I have a vintage camper that has plastic windows, maybe poly-acrylic. I have searched for replacement windows because one got busted out. I made one with plexi glass but not fond of it because it’s so different than my other windows.
      I was wondering if the easy cast poly resin, 50-50 ratio would be okay to use for making the windows?
      Thanks for any suggestions.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

@Billie, I don’t have any experience using resin to make windows other than for decorative purposes. I don’t know how well they would hold up to the elements.

Haneef

Hai,

I would like to make Epoxy Clear windows as glass window in Epoxy Resin nfor my home, how can i make it the size of the window 2 feet x 2 feet. what material i can use to make the resin harder like glass.

Please advice.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Haneef,

If you want something as hard as glass, a polyester resin is what I would use.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Making window panes’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube