Minuscule Bubbles (LOSING MY MIND)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Chloe

Hello, I’ve had so much trouble with resin lately, I’m ready to dump it all down the drain. (Or dump out my wallet.)

I’m using resin molds for a werewolf costume’s (a fursuit, if you will) eyes. All I need are two. And for the life of me, I can’t seem to cast them. I’ve been having these problems (in order of hair tearing)

1. Extremely tiny bubbles. They’re small, but you can still see them.
      2. LOTS of extremely tiny bubbles in everything I cast.
      3. The resin being sticky even after curing time.

What I’ve been doing:
      1. Stirring slowly and carefully.
      2. Pouring slowly.
      3. Trying to pop bubbles with a BBQ lighter.

What I’ve been trying:
      1. Microwaving resin for 10 seconds.
      2. Surrounding it with warm water.
      3. Moving it to different temperature locations around my house
      4. Pouring in layers.
      And so much flippin’ more.

I have used Easy Craft and still had bubbles. I am now using Super Glaze, which I have had for other projects, and it worked just like Easy Craft. (Still bubbles though.)

So, how can I be victorious with the battle over bubbles?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Bubbles are awful! I hate them too! Here’s a few of my thoughts:

First, don’t microwave your resin. You don’t want to take a chance you will heat up something so that it releases weird fumes in your microwave. The warm water bath should do fine.

I tend to experience bubbles when there is a temperature change between the resin and whatever I am pouring it into. Have you tried warming up the mold? Pass a heat gun over the mold a few times until it feels warm to the touch. (If you are using plastic — be careful — I have melted molds doing this.)

I like to use a heat gun to pop bubbles. I think it does a better job of warming up the entire surface and getting those pesky bubbles to pop.

What else are you casting in the resin? If you are including other items, dip them in your cup of resin before including it in your mold. That will break the surface tension and make it less likely that you will get bubbles.

Have you thought about creating a hot box for your resin? This article shows how to make one: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/resin-casting-in-cold-weather Might help.

Ken

I too have suddenly experienced those pesky bubbles, which caused me to begin doubting my technique and/or the resin itself, even though I hadn’t changed procedure or materials. To rule out the resin itself, I mixed a little extra which I poured directly into a 1 oz clear plastic cup. No bubbles. Next I poured a little resin over one of the objects I was casting. Again no bubbles. But when I put resin over the wooden object in the casting. Bubbles!! Lots of those same tiny ones. Not many at first, but gradually more and more that the heat gun couldn’t resolve. I concluded the bubbles came from tiny amounts of air trapped in the pores of the wood (which was in this case White Oak, definitely an “open grain” wood.) You may have to experiment as I did in order to isolate the exact source of your bubbles and regain your confidence in the resin and your technique.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Yes! Unfortunately, wood traps a lot of bubbles that come out later after you pour resin over it. I recommend sealing wood pieces before including in resin.

Peter Southworth

I had the same problem casting resin into wooden bowls. I fixed the problem by placing the bowl next to my grinder and leaving the grinder on for an hour. The slight vibration releases the bubbles

Pam

What kind of heat gun do you use?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster
        LISA

I love the outside-the-box thinking of the grinder! On that note, I was just researching using an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to eliminate those pesky tiny bubbles. I’ve seen videos of people placing a cup of resin (some before mixing & some separate – I think it’s just a preference) on the machine & the ultrasonic vibrations made the resin totally bubble free! They say not to leave it on too long though as it does generate heat.

Randy

Yeah, that’s a common problem. I’ve learned how to do it. I stir slowly and keep contact with the bottom of my cup with my stirring stick at all times and it works well for me! I’ve tried the other methods, warm water, bbq lighter, heat gun, etc, with mixed results. You’ll find that wood in particular seems to produce bubbles a lot! Just one of those things! I’ve never nuked my resin or warmed up my molds before though. Katherine knows her stuff here, so I’d listen to her!

Jes Gomez

I seem to be having the same exact issue but i am not using any wood. only real flowers. I am not sure that i am doing wrong. i am VERY NEW to this. what do you mean by heat up the resin? is this a texchnique?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Warm up the resin in a hot water bath for 5 to 10 minutes before using. It will make it a thinner viscosity, making bubbles easier to release.

Linda Boone

I’m trying so hard to make clear resin jewelry in molds from small to large – and I always have those little tiny bubbles no matter what I’ve tried – I do the warm water bath, stir careful, use a torch, I also blow threw a straw – I’ve done the ones with flowers in 2 separate stages and still I’m not winning – I’m frustrated beyond belief please help

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Linda, what kind/brand of resin are you using?

Jessica Davis

Hi,

I am having the same problem. Still very new to resin though I guess it’s been about a month now. I have had some things come out really well and some just have those tiny bubbles that you can’t even torch out. The sad thing is I can’t see them until the resin is cured so what looks excellent inside the mold ends up being not so much. I am using first art n glow resin and now I have art resin but haven’t tried it yet.

Carolyn

I am pouring resin into coasters and then I scatter pieces of brick all around the bottom. Then I place a laminated picture that I have cut out and put glue to totally seal it! Then I use a torch to get rid of bubbles! It looks fine but while it’s curing some bubbles appear near the edges of the picture. So small and some large. What am I doing wrong? Temp in room is 74 and humidity is 40%! I do not warm my resin!! Please help me with this problem. I’m using resin from Hobby Lobby called Aluminate! Thanks!

Jennifer

Mist-i-fied… Poured a test cast today, working at room temp which was probably about 68 degrees and using Allumilite Amazing Clear Cast resin.Poured a small cast with three layers each about 1/2 in thick.End product looks like mist or fog.Very very fine bubbles consistently across each layer – so fine these are not bubbles you could coax out and pop.
      Any suggestions?
      – ditch the wooden popsicle stir?
      – pour more slowly?
      – warm bath resin before mixing?
      Other?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Jennifer,

Warming should definitely help. Sometimes bubbles can escape from a wooden stick, so a plastic stick may be helpful. We have some in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/resin-obsession-stir-stix-stirstix-plastic-paddles

Your room is a little cool too. Low 70’s F is best for resin curing.

Jennifer

Thanks Katherine and everyone who is contributing to this discussion. Yea, I think actually the inside temp might have been about 66-68.I am going to give it another go and first turn on the heat in the house and warm up the resin itself in a hot water bath. I also think that the mixing cup I was using was a factor, tall and narrow causing me to whip the mixture versus stirring. Anyway – won’t get around to that for a bit, but I will post the results when I do! cheers and thanks everyone – Jennifer

Katherine Swift
            Keymaster

Yes, please share an update. I would love to hear what works for you.

Tammy

I was having the same problems with bubbles until someone told me after mixing the epoxy to let it sit for 15 minutes. This was a game changer! I no longer have bubbles and my finish is smooth as glass.

Brent

SUCCESS! After many trial runs I’ve come up with a routine for ridding bubbles.

If I know I’m going to use resin writhing a few hours or days, I put my jugs under a box on top of a heating vent. Keeps it nice and toasty without any over thinking.

I mix the resin for two minutes with a silicone handle I broke off a mini silicone spatula.

I let it sit for 2 more minutes then use a heat gun to pop initial bubbles.

I hear my mold or wood with heat gun

I use a brush to coat my mold or wood. Fill any voids etc. this relieves surface tension

I pour slowly and steady with consistent stream.

I take a wooden dowel and tap the mold or wood repeatedly while brushing over with heat gun.

I stop heat, and continue to tap.

And just like that a nice clear cast.

It’s a process, but anything worth doing is a process and worth the result.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Minuscule Bubbles (LOSING MY MIND)’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube