Mixed wrong, 2:3 instead of 1:2

Home Page Forums Whoops! Mixed wrong, 2:3 instead of 1:2

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jase

Oh dear. I count myself as pretty bright, but boy did I mess up.

I’ve been slowly pouring about 3 gallons of casting resin in 1/8″ layers every 12 hours or so, linked below:
      htps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YDWDVWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve been so carefully mixing thoroughly and vacuum degassing. But a year of using another brand with a 2:3 ratio had me mixing on autopilot. So I’ve been using 50% more hardener than I ought to all this time.

The project is poured. I can’t reverse time. So what can I expect? It *seems* to be fully curing, but will it eventually fail?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jase,

It’s hard to say at this point. Here’s what you might expect: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/epoxy-resin-overheated-resin-is-hot-and-smoking/

Jase

Interesting. I think that because I poured in 1/8″ layers, there was a lot of radiative heat loss and so never enough thermal mass to do something like that. Maybe I got lucky this time and it won’t be so bad. I did leave some in the pot when I got done pouring, about 4″ deep, and it did do exactly what you linked. Now I understand why.

Thanks for the response, I’m so glad I found this site. Definitely using RO resin for my next project.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Jase,

I agree, pouring in the thin layer probably saved your project. Glad to hear everything worked out!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Mixed wrong, 2:3 instead of 1:2’ is closed to new replies.