mold putty versus pourable silicone

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Lisa:

I recently purchased the amazing mold putty and have been playing with it trying to make molds from my crystals. The resin outcome isn’t as shiny and clear as I’d like, or as detailed unfortunately.

I love your site and was looking through suggestions and was wondering if you think the aluminite rubber mold making kit might be better for something like this? As in, capturing the shape better, and giving a shinier outcome?

Thank you so much!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Lisa,

If your model is very detailed, then yes, pourable silicone will usually capture that detail better. I like mold putty for items that are flat or don’t have a lot of details and points that you are trying to recreate.

The shininess, however, is another issue. If the template you used to make the mold isn’t shiny, then castings from that mold aren’t going to be shiny either. If you used a template to make a mold putty mold, then it may be that there is trapped air that is affecting the casting. Try baking the empty mold in a 150F oven for 30 minutes. That will release the trapped air and hopefully give you a clearer casting.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘mold putty versus pourable silicone’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube