3 Reasons Why I Always Use Resin Mold Release

why i use resin mold release
If you cast resin into resin molds, you might be wondering if you need a resin mold release.  I use one every time — and here’s why:

Reason 1: In case something goes wrong.

The plastics and silicones used for resin mold-making are designed not to stick to resin. So if the resin isn’t supposed to stick to them, why use a mold release?

Let me put it into practical terms with this example…

You get in your car, then put on your seatbelt. You drive around town, day after day, and nothing bad happens. Eventually, you think to yourself that you don’t need to wear a seatbelt. BUT, one day you’re in a bad accident and you NEEDED that seatbelt. It’s what saves you from serious injury.

Using a mold release is the same thing. I like to use it for the days that something goes horribly wrong — like your resin doesn’t cure.  It’s those times that using a release agent may be the only reason you get the resin out of the mold.

Reason 2: You are using a mold not intended for resin.

If you are using a mold that isn’t designed for resin, you should definitely use a mold release.  This includes plastic candy molds, candle molds, and other plastic molds you might want to try with resin.  Using a mold release is essential if you have any chance of demolding those resin charms.

Reason 3: It prolongs your mold life

When using molds for resin, they’ll degrade over time.  Twisting can warp a plastic mold, while silicone molds get microtears that wear out the mold faster.  Using a mold release means you don’t have to pull or twist on the mold as hard, which means your mold will last longer.

What resin mold release do I use?

The Castin’ Craft mold release is a great all-purpose mold release.  It doesn’t create the ‘cloud’ the Petrolease does, but still works quite well.

We also have some other specialty releases in our store.

How do you use resin mold release?

I’m so glad you asked!  Here’s how I like to use it in this two-minute video:

Are you spending hours online searching for information only to find you’ve wasted an afternoon and are no closer to getting started?

There’s a lot of information to sort through. It’s why I wrote the ebook Resin Fundamentals.  Learn from my sixteen years of resin experience. I share the vital details you need to know to make something beautiful with resin — even if you are a novice! Buy now, and a PDF download link arrives in your email inbox in minutes.

Unpublished Blog Posts of Resin Obsession, LLC © 2023 Resin Obsession, LLC

Like this post? You may be interested in  Resin Didn't Cure? 12 Reasons Why Epoxy Didn't Harden

17 thoughts on “3 Reasons Why I Always Use Resin Mold Release

1. UV Resin vs Part A & Part B resin. Which is better and why? I haven’t tried UV but it seems like less of a hassle and less of a chance of not curing? Have some on order along with a nail light for curing. Hopefully I’m on the right track with that. 😉

1. I use both and they are just different things. It completely depends on the project which one I’m using. You can’ t replace one with the other.

2. Can you do this process days in advance as in store your molds having sprayed them in preparation for the next use? Thank you

3. Hi, Katherine. What do I do with the molds that have tiny deep recesses such as roses or other flowers? I can’t seem to get the release way down in there. Can I “paint “ it in? Thanks for all you do to help us get great results!

1. Hi Alice! Yes, you can use a paintbrush to get the mold release into cracks and crevices.

4. Hi Katherine,
    I am just starting out and only want to make a small project using a cookie cutter that I have. Can I use WD40 or maybe cooking spray for a release agent?

5. I just started uv resin and when I dried it under the light and released it from the mold it has divets on the side that touched the mold base. Any suggestions?

6. I did not use a release agent on my silicone mold, I was able to get the piece out, however parts of the mold stayed on the resin, is the mold garbage?

7. I used cast’n’craft mold release and it left a cloudy residue on the resin. Is there something I can use to clean it off?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube