Molding a flexible tiara

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Rhonda

I need to find something, resin or otherwise, to use in a mold, to make a firm but flexible casting of a tiara for my grand niece. It needs flexibility to avoid cracking as she will be taking it on and off and bending it frequently while playing. The mold is shallow, so the casting will be thin.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hmm. I’m not sure resin is the right choice here. I doubt any resin would withstand the play of a small child.

I’m afraid I don’t have any good options for you….

Rhonda J Hunter

Well, she’s 8 years old, and it’s “princess” age. She has all the Disney princess items and wants to play princess. I thought I’d try making a tiara for her costume playing.
      Is there a flexible rubber molding compound that could be used instead of the resin? One of the firmer ones, maybe? It should be firm enough to hold shape in a thin layer, but not hard enough to crack.
      I’d like to consult someone in a company that makes molding compounds. There was something I downloaded off the internet, a tutorial on mold making. I remember everything but a name. (I collect tutorials) The tutorial showed it being used as a mold backing, among other things.
      Unfortunately, I lost the tutorial in a PC crash.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Rhonda,

Maybe Alumilite could help you with some recommendations? You can find them at alumilite.com. They may have something that could work.

Rhonda J Hunter

Thanks a lot, Alumilite is what I was trying to remember. The seahorse is molded, now I have to take it to be “mirrored”. Evidently the Alumilite product should work for both projects. Serendipity at work!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Molding a flexible tiara’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube