Molds changing color?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Carrie Lee Gissiner

I have several silicone molds that have become cloudy with use. They still release fine, no visible creases or blemishes to the surfaces when I take items out of these molds, they’ve just gone from clear to cloudy. Is this normal? Or is this a sign that they have about lived out their life and will no longer be useful soon?

I do have one or two silicone that came as a milky white color, they are squares or rectangles, and I’m noticing the sides seem to be a tad “rounded” on these particular ones instead of the normal straight when I poop them out now. I’m thinking they are about done.

Thanks for your help!

Carrie Lee Gissiner

Meant to say pop them out!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

It sounds like you are using clear molds, yes? Are you using a mold release? Sometimes mold release can make them go cloudy. It has been my experience that the cloudiness doesn’t necessarily impact the end casting. As long as you are happy with what you get out of them, I would say keep using them.

Jade

I’ve had a similar problem with clear molds turning cloudy/milky, and actually I’ve had some colored silicone molds develop a similar milky appearance. The one difference in my situation is that the affected cavities began as very shiny surfaces, but are becoming somewhat dull with continued use. I’ve never received a good explanation of what is causing it or why, but based on my experience I’d say that if you have the means to replace the mold, you should plan on doing so. Personally I’ve taken to making my own molds with either Castin’ Craft pink silicone or the reusable Composimold gel. Now whenever I get a new mold, the first thing I do is fill it with the quick-curing white resin and keep that casting “on file” so that later if the mold becomes used up or damaged, I can simply make a new one.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Molds changing color?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube