Multi-colored Bangle (not by layering)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Melissa

Hi!  Im trying to make a multi-colored bangle!  Easiest would be different colors poured on previously hardened layers.  Instead, I want a bangle where the entire SIDES are different colors.

So, imagining a two-colored bangle, Im thinking of making a template out of clay where, when the two sides are fitted together, make a complete circle.  Part two would be to cast a flexible mold for both sides. 

Lastly – and this is where Im having trouble – how to join the two sides together.  Some adhesive, then rubber band the two sides together until it hardens.  But what kind of glue? 6000? Or dabble some clear resin on the ends to join?

Or, if there is a different way, please advise!  Thanks!

Katherine Swift

Hi Melissa,

What a neat idea!  Ive seen others do those and I think it would be super cool.

Yes, I would do what youre thinking in that once I had my template, I would make a silicone mold of each half.  To join them together, I like your idea of using some clear resin.  I think the E-6000 would hold, but it can break if someone really wants to try to get the two pieces apart.  Completely covering both ends with resin as a glue, then pressing together, is the way I would go.  (Be prepared to sand your seam to make it look pretty and even.)

As I was thinking about this, I thought of another design dilemma….

If this were me, I would be worried about how I was going to keep the ends together while theyre drying/curing.  Yes a rubber band will help, but you want to make sure the ends are absolutely flush and together.  I would anticipate taking a woodworkers approach to get the ends to lock together — like a dovetail when putting two ends of wood together.  That would certainly give the bracelet a neat look!  (If I wanted to try this, I would have one of my woodworking friends use one of their neat-o table saws to cut the template to make sure everything was even.)

If you wanted to have the ends look like they are coming together without a join, then I would try having a male/female approach.  I would have the female end of the bracelet be a depressed rectangle and have the male side of the bracelet have the same rectangle but it is raised.  This would let you lock the two sides together so that they will line up nicely when youre gluing without anyone (hopefully) being able to see how.  To make a model like this with your own eyes and hands would probably be tedious.  If I knew this was something I wanted to make and make a bunch of, I would go to the trouble of having someone CAD a wax model for me.  You could then make a silicone mold of the wax model.

I hope I didnt burst your bubble about trying this.  Maybe I shouldnt think so much…..

Melissa

Thanks!  great ideas….  Now I just need to find more time in the day!  Love the idea of dovetail joints, and if they are in two colors, the seam would be part of the detail….  Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Multi-colored Bangle (not by layering)’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube