My UV Resin warps/curls

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Julia 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Sandy

Hello! I’m new to this and have started out with the UV Resin, not sure of the brand but comes from China I think (ordered from Amazon). Every single time each of my pieces turn up at both ends and dip in the middle so it’s like a teeter-totter. What am I doing wrong??? At first I held my uv flashlight super close for a few minutes, the ends curled up, I thought I was holding it too long and too close so shortened my time with the uv flashlight, ends still curled up, then just quickly ran the light up and down the piece but still the ends curled up, lastly I held the light about 8″ higher and ran it over the piece, it didn’t dry it out all the way so let it sit, but the ends still curled up, not quite as much. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve seen videos where people hold their light right up to their piece for minutes and theirs didn’t curl up. I am frustrated. Thank you for any help, I have searched and searched and haven’t found anything on this particular subject.

• #14282 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

I’m afraid I can’t be of much help to you. I’ve used UV resin a little bit, but haven’t run into this problem.

• #14722 Reply

Darrian S

I just made a piece (tried) with UV resin and I had a similar thing happen. I live in Texas so the sun is VERY bright here. I sat the piece to cure on my window sill and came back 30 minutes later to find that it has….risen in the middle? I’m using a cherry blossom mold, I cleaned i5 last night and let it dry overnight. It created a dome basically and it has like a little stub in the middle of it and also created edges towards the edges of the petals?! I mixed some glitter in and when i put the piece aside to cure it had no bubbles……
    I hope someone has answers 😭 I will post a picture for reference

• #14723 Reply

Darrian S

Here is a link to the pictures I took of the piece I made:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/phboS5B

• #14724 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Although my experience with UV resin is limited, from what I understand, it’s not meant to be used in molds. Maybe this is why?

• #32801 Reply

Joanna Remson

Uv resin from RJcrafts {dot} com. Does not curl your work at, including very thin pieces for earrings in example. It’s expensive but well worth it and it gives a magnificent clear glass dome effect.

• #37117 Reply

Naideine Kirby

I’ve been having the same issue as Sandy. However, I’ve noticed that it’s only the square and rectangular molds that seem to curl up on the ends. For now I’ve just decided to stick with rounded shapes. I haven’t had a single oval or tear drop curl on me.

• #38094 Reply

Tracy Mcfayden

I’m having the same problem have tried everything even trying to keep it down by uding craft clamps while curing but when I release they still curl. I have found it’s only in the bigger moulds like the ones I bought for making fridge magnets.

• #71141 Reply

Julia

Sorry for the late response. I use UV resin as well, and the same happens to me. From my understanding, its that the silicone is too slick for the resin to grab onto when it heats, so it detaches at the edges. After removing the resin from the mold, my warped resin is still pliable, but extremely hot, so for that I would say to weigh it down with a really heavy book until its completely cooled, and then some. I might try lightly buffing my molds in the future. I also think it may have something to do with the thickness vs length ratio. Whenever I make resin cubes, or solid figures (spheres, drops, cylinders, really anything with a solid shape) I experience no warping. I think that is because the more stable shape weighs the resin down. I’ve had minimal success with resin molds, and great success with loose resin pieces. I use clear tape and jump rings to make circular jewelry, and the jump rings are good for protecting the edges (and i guess the tape holds the resin down). I bet you could make free standing shapes on a piece of tape, but you might have to make some sort of tape wall to build thickness. Clear and smooth packaging tape work the best for me. The best option for other thinner resin pieces would be to use an AB resin, which is the only real solution I have found. And, the upside to AB resin is that you get more quantity for a much lower price in the end, whereas now I pay 25 dollars for a bottle of 200 g or about 7 oz. At the end of the day, for me, the only upside to UV resin is the dry time, which is ultimately outweighed by the cons of warping, heating, smell, and tendency to be extremely hard to shine, plus the stickiness. Hope this helps.

Reply To: My UV Resin warps/curls
Your information: