New to resin and have some questions

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

These questions comes from Christine:

Hi new to resin and I’m unsure what you meant about using the release in between two pours. Do you mean if you are putting a layer of clear then letting it cure before putting ink or something like glitter and then putting another layer of resin? Do you need to spray silicone or hard plastic molds first? I tried opaque resin in silicone and it fell out. I’m also wondering why most take so long to cure and this was hard in 10 mins. Lastly can you drop food coloring in resin or does it have to be some expensive dye? Could you mix it in as you mix the two parts? I’m on disability and have nothing to live on at the moment but I want to do this for my mental health so the least expensive route would be great for now.
      I’m going to watch more of your stuff but I want to buy the resin so I’d prefer to get the release of absolutely necessary. Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Christine,

I have reposted your questions and will insert my comments in between.

Hi new to resin and I’m unsure what you meant about using the release in between two pours. Do you mean if you are putting a layer of clear then letting it cure before putting ink or something like glitter and then putting another layer of resin?

—-I don’t recall sharing anything about a release in between pours. A mold release is something I use in a mold before pouring resin. What you are describing with pouring layers, allowing them to cure, then pouring more layers is definitely something you should do if you want your casting to look like it has multiple layers.

Do you need to spray silicone or hard plastic molds first? I tried opaque resin in silicone and it fell out.

—-Yes. I always use a mold release whether I am using plastic or silicone molds.

I’m also wondering why most take so long to cure and this was hard in 10 mins.

—-It depends on the resin. Some have a short pot and cure time, while others do not. When you purchase the resin, this information should be readily available in the product description and the packaging.

Lastly can you drop food coloring in resin or does it have to be some expensive dye? Could you mix it in as you mix the two parts?

—-In general, colorants designed specifically for resin work the best. You will get a consistent color and curing is not affected. Unfortunately, food coloring does not work for resin. If you are looking for some other coloring ideas, this article will help:

https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/experimenting-with-resin-colors

I’m going to watch more of your stuff but I want to buy the resin so I’d prefer to get the release of absolutely necessary. Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge.

—-You are welcome! Happy to help. 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘New to resin and have some questions’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube