New to resin, so many questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Heather

Hello, I want to start off by saying that this website has been invaluable to me in learning how to work with resin.   (I think Ive read just about every page at least once. lol)  But I do have a few questions that I need help with.

1. Will ModgePodge acrylic spray sealer work similarly to the spray resin sold on this site?
      2. How likely is it for plants to fade when placed in resin?  Ive seen a lot of posts about that and I just want to know how difficult it is to get plants to keep their color.
      3.  The project that I got into resin for is that I want to embed my cats four leaf clover (long story) and a picture of her into the MC-8 (or MC-7) Easy Craft Mold.  Can I use Easy Cast Epoxy resin for that?  Is epoxy hard enough?  Will it yellow in the next 10 years, if kept indoors?  Or should I use EasyCast Polyester resin?
      4.  With the EasyCast Polyester Resin what is the actual measurement for a drop of the hardener?  Is it 0.05ml?
      5.  Do I need to use a respirator with the EasyCast Polyester (or the epoxy) Resin?  What kind do you recommend if yes?
      Thank you for your help
      Katherine Swift

Here are my answers numbered to match your questions above:

1.  I dont know.  I have never used that product.

2.  Plants will fade, especially if they are not sealed.  I would suggest sealing them in at least two, if not three, layers.

3.  Yes, you can use Easy Cast for that project.  It is a relatively soft epoxy resin, but if you pour it in a thick enough casting, you shouldnt notice a difference.  It might yellow some, but it shouldnt be that noticeable, especially if you keep it out of direct sunlight.  I would not recommend the polyester resin if youre a beginner.

4.  The amount of hardener you need for the polyester resin depends on the thickness of the layer you are pouring.

5.  I always recommend wearing a NIOSH respirator for fumes when working with polyester resin, along with working in a well ventilated area.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘New to resin, so many questions’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube