Orgonite & pyramids?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Linda

Hi Katherine,
      I have been making orgonite pyramids using the Castin Craft Clear resin in metal molds, with mixed results. (Organite is like a paperweight with crystals and metal inside) Against all odds, I have been having more successes than failures, despite the fact that I feel like I am guessing every time. I have two basic questions. As if trying to figure out the hardener amount wasn’t hard enough already with Casting Craft & a layered project, I am struggling with trying to figure out how to estimate the “depth” of a pyramid and get the right amount of Hardener drops. The directions on the can are confusing, they go by layers or thickness and not ounces, so I always feel like I am guessing. I usually do about 3 layers, dividing the pyramid in thirds. The first layer includes the point and is the thickest but uses the least amount of resin. The other layers are thinner but use more resin. Any advice you could give me on casting pyramids would be greatly appreciated!
      The other question is that I have been using metal molds. I usually just bang them out and it works. I would like to use a mold release, but I am afraid the mold release with mess with the shine of the cast, or the point of the pyramid. Which mold release would you recommend that won’t mess with the shine or point, especially for a metal mold? thanks so much, I really appreciate your expertise! Linda

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Linda,

Casting polyester resin is quite tricky. In general, the thinner the casting, the more hardener you need because you need to generate more heat for the resin to cure. This heat is also additive, meaning as you add another layer to a layer you just poured, that heat will be added into the next layer. The best advice I can give you is to use the manufacturer’s suggestions for how much catalyst to add as a starting point. Take notes when you do your castings and adjust as necessary. I wish there was an easy answer for you, but unfortunately, it’s going to take a little trial and error on your part.

My go-to mold release is this one: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/petrolease-non-silicone-food-grade-mold-release I use it on everything and have been quite happy with the results. I light mist is all you need. I don’t feel like it affects the casting finish.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Orgonite & pyramids?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube