Painting resin and more

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Stephan Egli

Hi,

Me and my wife are really new with making resin figurines. And hope some one can give us advice on what Paint to use etc.

We recently tried painting our resin figurines. However a few difficulties arose. When we are painting the paint clumps up very quickly, and it makes it very hard to makes smooth and clean brush strokes on the figurines.
      Number 2 is that we have a lot of “nookes and cranies” in our figurines, and so it is very hard painting in those areas without messing up other areas. Can you recommend a certain brush, paint thinner or something for those spots?
      Number 3 is that we notice very small bubbles here and there that we didnt notice before on the surface. The reason we didnt see them before is because our rigid plastic resin is transparent after curating. We do spray paint a white primer over it, however it still can be hard to see the small details. The color brings them out.

Here are the materials we use. If you recommend something else please let us know.
      We use Smooth-Cast simi rigid plastic for making the figurines. (We dont have access to a vacuum chamber) I try to sand down some of it before spraying but its hard to see and its hard to sand some spots. After sanding we use sandable primer from the brand PLastiKote as was recommended from the people at Smooth-Cast. We then use Acrylic paint for painting. By the brands Reeves and College. The figurines/magnets we make are around 3 x 3 inches. One is the Mask from Courage the Cowardly dog, another is a frame. (to give you and idea of the detail)

Hope you can help us. Thank you very much!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Stephan,

Unfortunately, my experience with painting on resin is very limited. I’m afraid I don’t have any better suggestions for you.

Rhonda

Have you tried washing the castings before painting them? Sometimes there is an oily film left on the cured pieces which causes the paint to clump up. Be sure they are completely dry before painting. A very fine tipped artists brush helps with nooks and crannies.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Painting resin and more’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube