Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Rita:

Would you know how to attain this effect:

Petri dish and resin

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Rita,

I have not done anything like this, but here is how I would approach it.

It looks like the surface shown in the picture would have been the surface touching the petri dish. i.e. think about this while it is ‘flipped over’

The colors are not blending with the resin at all which makes me think they are oil based. Too thick and they wouldn’t flow, but if they had a water or solvent base, I would expect them to blend into the surrounding resin more.

I would try putting down a clear layer of resin first, then dropping in the colorant and rotating the dish. Put more clear resin on in a layer, then add more color. I don’t know how these colorants effect curing. Sounds like something to try.

Is this helpful at all?

PC

Alcohol inks produce this look

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I’m curious. How do you get alcohol inks to produce that effect? Whenever I have used them, they have produced transparent color.

Brandi

Adding white alcohol ink alone or mixed into a colored ink & dropping into resin creates these effects. Adding alcohol to the white ink before adding it into the resin will cause it to sink at different depths with in the resin.

Yami Herrera

This comment confused me a bit but I am very interested. Can you elaborate? I believe you are referring to the alcohol ink alone versus adding alcohol to the alcohol ink? I am sorry if I am causing more confusion. But to piggy back on Kathy’s comment, any time I have used alcohol inks they become transparent and blend almost entirely.

Martha Humphrey

I was curious about this effect for such a long time too! The original artist that invented this petri dish technique is Josie Lewis!!! Just recently Josie has started to post tutorials on her youtube account and she has explained how she achieved this look with alcohol inks in her video.

I really recommend checking out her Instagram @josielewisart and her youtube, they are super helpful and she knows all about using resin! Here is the link to the petri dish tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH-y7zBmhfM

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Resinista Amy Murry has a video on our youtube channel showing how to make petri dishes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4BoEIuevSk&t=1s

Missy Anne Diehl

How much resin does it take for a 3 piece Petri mold? The rust-colored one.

Layna

Help! I’ve done this technique twice and both times the white alcohol ink completely settles to the bottom of my piece. Any idea what is going on?

PSdesign

It’s really important to make sure your white ink is very thoroughly mixed, or it will drop to the bottom and not take any color with it. If you look at your bottle you’ll see the pigment will be sort of stuck to the side and/or bottom. You want to make sure it’s thoroughly incorporated before you start dropping it on top of your color.

Brookelyn

Wait time between mixing and pouring ur resin and when u add the ink will have different effects. If u let it sit 20 mins then add it will give more distinct lines vs when u first pour the resin and immediately do the ink it will be more fluid. This YouTube explains it very well I recommend watching it.

https://youtu.be/NWjqQLFpzzY

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Petri dish and resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube