Polymer resin: how brittle?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Parth

Hi,

Im planning on making a somewhat large project with polymer resin. The only problem is that Ive read online that its brittle. Has anyone had any experiences with it and can they explain just how brittle it is?

Will it for example shatter if I drop it accidentally?

Katherine Swift

Hi Parth!

Are you talking about polyester resin?  If you are, then yes, it cures hard.  A big project would shatter if dropped onto a hard surface.

Parth

Yes, sorry I meant polyester resin. Thank you for your quick response.

So in comparison, how strong is epoxy resin? If I make a large item out of it, will that crack/shatter when dropped?

Katherine Swift

Both are hard, but the difference is that I wouldnt expect epoxy resin to break of dropped, however, it may dent slightly.  The big advantage to the polyester resin is that you can polish it with a buffing wheel and the appropriate polishing compound to get a super shiny surface.

Victoria

Polyester resin is very brittle but is cheaper to buy so if you are doing a big project it may be worth it. Disadvantage is the ratio is different and the bigger the project the more different the ratio, for a small object it would be 100:1, and for a large object it could be anything, i know one of the gents i know that does large casting uses 100:18 ratio because of the size.

Advantage is i find polyester cures faster also.
      Helen

Hi
      I’ve made a few bracelets which have broken from only being dropped few inches any tips for future castings
      Helen

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Polymer resin: how brittle?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube