Possible fillers to limit required resin volume

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Darcy

Hi there. I have a length of hollowed out split tree trunk that I’d like to lay on its side and “fill” with resin to fashion a table top out of. I say “fill” because I’m searching for ideas on how I could limit the amount of resin I’d need by perhaps filling a portion of the bottom with something less expensive. I’ll likely use some amount of river rock, as I think that would look great as well as consume some of the volume, but it will also add significantly to the weight of the project. I was pondering the idea of some amount of sand, not for being lightweight but because it would be a good filler and could add a nice visual quality… a base of sand with some river rock on top of it. But pouring resin over sand sounds problematic, no? Does anyone have any idea of anything lightweight that could be used as a filler if I could somehow hide it with some amount of sand / rocks? It would need to be some material that wasn’t adversely affected by the resin.

And yes, I am new at this (as if that were not already painfully obvious) 🙂

Thanks!

Darcy

I meant to ask, what about that spray foam insulation? Or is that likely to react poorly to the heat generated by the setting resin?

Thanks.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Darcy, I would expect resin to get too hot to work with spray foam insulation.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi DArcy,

You have a lot going on here!

I want to help you with your project, and I think this situation is best suited for a one-on-one consulting call where you and I talk back and forth about what’s going on. A 15-minute consultation call is $20. I do them by video so I can have a chance to see what you are working on.

If you are interested, please send a message through the ‘contact us’ page and I can get this going for you.

Sincerely,
      Katherine @ Resin Obsession

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Possible fillers to limit required resin volume’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube