Pouring resin around a carved log.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Eric

Hi,
      I have carved out sections of a small log (1ft long 4in wide) to replace with resin. They are on average 1/2” deep and 1” wide. Very irregular patterns. ( think 3 or 4 mini rivers/ponds wrapped around a single log ).
      What is the best way to fill these with resin? There is no way to pour them normally since the resin leaks out one or both sides of each carved pattern. I could make dams, but I’d rather the pours be seemless. I could wrap it and inject resin but I’m nervous about sanding afterwards. I’d like to preserve the existing bark between the carvings. Also, I love the smooth surface of a non sanded pour. Dams and/or wrapping may be my only options?
      Long description, I know.:)
      Any help is appreciated.
      -Eric

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Eric,

You need to seal the resin log first, otherwise, it will release bubbles in the resin.

I would approach this with the same intent as if I were putting resin on a tumbler — you will need to keep the log moving. You can read more here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/resin-tumbler-diy/

Eric

Thanks Katherine,
      I have a can of your spray sealer. Love it. I’ll try that to prevent bubbles.
      The tumbler spinner looks cool. It may not hold this heavy piece. I might buy one and experiment with it. I may just have to make sealed chambers/walls and pour them in sections. Let me know if you have advice on that; Painters tape; aluminum; clay or Play Doe; Saran Wrap etc..
      Be well:)
      -Eric

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Eric,

Any of those things you mention will work to make a ‘dam’ so you can put on resin.

You may also want to consider the foam brush approach. You dip it in resin and sponge it on. It won’t go on as thick (meaning you will have to do it more often) and you will still have to rotate, but it might work out better for you.

I used the technique in making this glitter tumbler: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/how-to-glitter-and-resin-a-tumbler/

Jessica

Hey Eric! Were you able to figure out how to make these dams and if so what materials did you use? I have a similar project but instead of wood it is a cement plant pot with areas carved out sort of like how you explained and I would like to fill the carved out areas with resin. Any info would be super appreciated. Thanks so much!

Eric

Hi Jesdica,
      Just seeing your reply. I’m just getting back to my projects. Busy summer. I have not poured that log yet, but I plan to. Probably going to pour it in sections with dams in areas where spill would happen. Any luck with yours? I’ll post whatever results I get.
      -Eric

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Pouring resin around a carved log.’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube