Pouring resin over a painted scene

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Laura:

I am trying to get information on resin. We are looking to make a project which is going to be in a 5×7 or 8×10 wooden frame. We will paint a scene, and glue shells and perhaps a couple other items. Then I want it to have an embeded look to finish it off. If I pour resin over this will it dry and look like this is all under glass? How many coats would I do to make it look thick? Is it better to put a thinner coat and let it dry and then put another coat or two over that drying each layer as I do it? I am new to this and would appreciate your help. Could you tell me what product would work best if any to do this.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Laura,

Yes, resin will work well for this purpose. Before you pour resin, you will want to make sure your piece is dry. I generally like to let glue and paint dry for at least 12 hours. You may even want to wait a couple of days. You may also want to seal the sides and underside of your piece with masking tape as resin will run through any cracks or holes.

The resin will self-level to a depth of approximately 1/16″ to 1/8″. I would suggest pouring one layer, see how you like it, then decide if you want a second layer. It will cure to a glossy finish and look like glass.

As for resin, the Resin Obsession artwork resin will work great. You can buy it in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-artwork-resin

This blog post may help you as well: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/how-to-apply-a-glossy-resin-layer-to-a-painting It shows how to resin a painting along with an example of how to calculate how much resin you need.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Pouring resin over a painted scene’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube