Pouring UV Resin Outdoors

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Tad

I am new to Resin Art. I live in Florida and the only safe place I have to mix, pour, and cure resin is outside in a covered screened in patio.

I saw somewhere that working with UV resin outside is not recommended because the sun’s UV rays will limit the work time too much.

Is there a way to work with UV Resin for jewelrymaking outside?

I thought about figuring out a “working box” where I can shade the project enough to make it workable? Has anyone done this or seen it done? Any speculations on whether this could work? Any things to make sure I consider while designing this contraption?

Any suggestions, feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thabk you.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Tad,

My UV resin experience is limited, but I did what you describe. I poured the resin into the molds, then took outside to cure. Everything cured fine provided there was bright sunshine. I.e. a cloudy day won’t cut it.

Tad

Katherine, Thank you for your comment. The issue for me isn’t that I need to cure it outside, rather thst I need to pour it outside, and being that it is then exposed to the UV rays while I’m pouring… it shortens the working time significantly.

I did try to pour it outside this weekend (It was cloudy when I was pouring) and it did begin hardening while I was working with it so I had to rush more than I would have liked. That is why I am looking for suggestions for things to try to slow the process down while I am pouring.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Pouring UV Resin Outdoors’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube