Preventing fish eyes in coasters

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Janus:

In my project, I use exotic wood to make coasters. The coasters are laser engraved, a process which releases and scorches the natural wood oil.

I sand down all the burn marks leaving a smooth surface. The engravings are filled with colored resin, it works well. The rest of the surface is sealed with a lacquer based sanding sealer and smoothed down again.

The next step is to seal the whole lot with a clear resin coat. And this is where I struggle as there are plenty of fish eyes. Should I rather skip the sanding sealer and leave the wood rough, or will the wood oil also re-act with the resin?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Janus,

It sounds like you may be using a resin that doesn’t have enough surface tension to want to stay even on the surface. I would suggest using a thicker mixing (doming) resin. If you are already doing that and getting fish eyes, you may need to create a tape dam around your coasters. Pour the resin, then remove the tape after casting.

I would avoid not sanding as I am concerned the oil would act as a mold release.

Good luck!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This article explains how fish eyes happen and what you can do to fix them: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-art/why-are-there-dents-and-holes-in-my-resin-painting/

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Preventing fish eyes in coasters’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube