Putting a butterfly in resin

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Pamela:

Greetings,

I am new to your website, and went through many of the tutorials about using resin. I?m glad I found you site as I have several questions about using organic items in resin. In one of your tutorials you used popcorn, and in another you used dried flowers. For each you sprayed them with the Gloss Resin Sealer Spray before putting them into resin.

First, if using flowers, do they need to be dried first?
      Second, what about using bugs, etc.?

I have a huge butterfly that I found on my car?s bumper after coming home from a trip. It is in perfect condition; antennae, body, wings all intact, including the ?swallowtail? points on the bottom wings. His wingspan from tip to tip is approximately 5 or 5 1/4 inches. From the tip of his antennae to the bottom of his points on the bottom wings, it?s probably about 3 1/2 inches. He has black, yellow, and orange markings, maybe a Monarch?

I?ve been trying to figure out what to do with him. I think he?s probably too big for a pendant, so I thought maybe a paperweight. The only mold on your site that I could find that might work is the Oval Mold 457. The description says that it is 5 ¾? x 3 ¾? x ¾? deep, and holds 6 ounces of resin. Is this the overall diameter of the mold, or is it the ID/interior dimensions?

Any advice/help you could offer would be great, and other ideas as well. Also, the butterfly has been drying since early September. I placed him on a piece of waxed paper, on his back, so that his body and legs are up. I did this so that his wings would stay flat. Anyway, I think it?s time to do something with him before he crumbles away.

Thanks so much,

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Pamela,

What a great idea!  Insects in resin are so cool.Yes, if you’re using flowers, you will need to make sure they are dry and sealed before adding to resin.  Bugs need to be dry and, most likely, sealed as well.  If you’re ever unsure, ask yourself if getting the item wet would change its appearance.  If the answer is yes, then you need to seal.

As for the mold dimensions, we list the actual cavity dimensions, not the overall plastic size (unless noted), with the mold listing.

Since your butterfly is very delicate, first and foremost, I suggest a couple of practice pieces first.  (Partial wings would be great for this.)  My first concern is that a butterfly that large is going to be flimsy and difficult to position in the resin.  If I were doing this, I would coat him first with a layer of the resin gloss sealer spray

https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray

or since you’re going to use him in a mold, use the Resin Obsession super clear resin:

https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin

Once he’s sealed and/or cured, he’s a bit more manageable and shouldn’t break up and be easier to place in your resin mold.  After he’s cured, I would use him like any other inclusion.

If you take this project on, please share pictures!

Katherine Swift

@Del,

The sealer didnt make a difference on those insects?

DEL

I tried Bees in mine recently . I tried some without sealer and some with .. The colour compleatly faded away from them . I found it hard with flowers as well .I ended up doing fimo flowers and bees instead lol!

Cavey

Apology to bring this back.

Did anyone successfully put the butterfly in resin without color lost ?
      Does resin sealer protect the colors before placing it in resin ?

Cavey

Hi Katherine,

My apology, I should have mentioned putting a whole butterfly in resin. Laminate may not work for whole butterfly.
      Does anyone done that before without losing its colors ?

mana

Aww, sounds Awesome! I got to make one for my sister…

Paula M Ferraro

I laminated mine before pouring and has been successful.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Putting a butterfly in resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube