Putting resin on a painting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Alicia:

i am looking for a resin to put over acrylic paintings. i want one that does not yellow.
      1) what do u recommend?
      2) how much volume will i need for 30" x 40" canvas?

Katherine Swift

Hi Alicia,

I dont have any experience with this, but will try to help as best as I can.

Does it matter if the resin goes over the side of the painting?

Katherine Swift

Hi Alicia,

I will say again that I dont have any experience with this.  That being said, however, I have had several questions about this process, so I took this as an opportunity to learn! 

For a resin recommendation, I would go with the Envirotex lite.  https://www.resinobsession.com/ItemPage/5500/Envirotex-Lite—Transparent–16-oz-restricted-shipping.html  I picked this resin because its meant to go as a coating — tabletops, trays, etc.  Its going to pour thick, without being too thick.  Im afraid a doming resin (one where its supposed to stay more in a puddle instead of spreading out) might be too thick.  There is also the trickiness of heat produced when mixing the large volume youre going to need.  Mixing large quantities of this resin will get warm, but I wouldnt expect it to distort or ruin your painting.

As for it turning yellow, it might do that over time if you display your art in direct sunlight.  You will also only generally notice it in areas where you know the art is a bright white.  Speaking from experience, if the resin does yellow, its usually a very subtle difference that most people would only notice if they had a perfectly colored one to compare it to.

For the volume needed, heres the math I used:  your painting size is 30 inches by 40 inches, which is 1200 square inches or 8.33 square feet (1200 inches divided by 144 inches in a square foot)  The resin will usually pour in about 1/16 inch thicknesses (0.0625 inches).  1200 square inches multiplied by the thickness of 0.0625 equals 75 cubic inches.  There are 231 cubic inches in a gallon, so you will need .33 gallons of resin (75 divided by 231).  Since a gallon is 128 ounces, you will need 42.24 ounces of resin to do one layer of your art. 

If you find after doing the first layer that it isnt thick enough or you have some very 3-D parts still coming through, you can coat with another layer of resin.  I would expect you would need another 42.24 ounces of resin.

As for a couple of technique things, I would highly recommend our mixing cups, stir stix and brush set.  You want to make sure you get your resin mixed well.  The brushes will also help you spread it out over your painting.  https://www.resinobsession.com/ItemPage/5227/Reusable-Mixing-Cups-w-Stir-Sticks–Brushes-Set.html

My last bit of advice is to try on a test piece first.  Since youve only got one shot at this, you want to make sure you have the technique of mixing and measuring resin down perfectly before you try on your keeper artwork.

Good luck!

alicia

no–it does not matter. i

do not intend to put it in the sides but if it 
      drips over, that is ok.
      Jane

Some time ago I Googled this question. There were many responses but best of all there were videos that demonstrated the technique. Unfortunately I did not save the link to the video(s) but Im sure they are easy to find…

Jane
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Putting resin on a painting’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube