Question about alcohol inks

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jessica

Hi – I am new to resin art but having a lot of fun with it already. I have seen many artists torch their pieces to remove air bubbles after using alcohol inks – but when I got the ones I ordered (Pinata) I was nervous because it says it is extremely flammable. I don’t have a “shop” and do my art at the dining room table. My question is – has anyone ever had any issues with the ink igniting? The torch I have doesn’t really have a temp setting on it, just an adjustable flame – and I have been tiptoeing around this when I use alcohol inks by using a hairdryer instead but it definitely does not work as well. So, I am just curious if this has ever been an issue and should I worry about it?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jessica,

You are proactive to be worrying about this. Alcohol inks are definitely flammable and the presence of a flame makes fire a good possibility.

It has been my experience that if you wait several minutes after pouring, the alcohol evaporates making a flame flare up less likely when using a torch. I’ve seen several other artists on youtube show their flare ups and it looks like the alcohol burns off quickly when it does happen. (Think flaming bananas foster.) . That’s not to say that you shouldn’t be concerned. A healthy fear of fire is a good thing. 🙂 I have two fire extinguishers in my studio only several feet away from where I’m pouring.

You might want to consider a heat gun. It’s what I like to use. It gets hot enough for my needs and is also helpful for pushing the resin around. You can find them in our store here:
      https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools/products/wow-embossing-multipurpose-heat-tool-heat-gun

Jessica

Thank you – I was trying to research this and came across some artists who burn the alcohol ink on glass for their art pieces. I am not gonna try anything like that haha, but it did give me an idea of how the flame would go out quickly – But thank you, I think I will just wait a bit and then use the torch. I do need a heat gun but it’ll have to wait a bit. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. =)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Question about alcohol inks’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube