Recreating motorcycle parts

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Glenn:

hi, I am trying to replicate some small motorcycle parts, they are clear with a sheet of aluminium in the middle to look like chrome, do you think resin will be a suitable material to replicate them? i can send pictures if that helps.
      any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Glenn,

Yes, I think resin could work for your project. Are these parts for ‘show’ or do you hope to they are stronger to withstand elements? That will help me with a recommendation.

Glenn

They are for show, it appears there are two layers an inner layer that clips on to the other plastics then a tin foil layer and then the top layer of plastic over the foil

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

First, you will need to make a mold of the piece(s) of your replacement part. Once you have your mold, a clear casting resin will do the trick. The super clear resin would be great for this project if you live in the U.S. or Canada. You can find it in several sizes here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin It sounds like you can pour a clear layer first, then use foil that you have cut to fit your mold in a second layer of resin, then top it off with a third layer of resin.

Does this help?

Glenn

Yes it does thankyou

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Recreating motorcycle parts’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube