Removing resin for cleaning

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Johanka:

Hello, I follow your youtube resin page, because I also work with resin. However, I have one big problem, and I could not find an answer for this one: How can I clean things on which I dont want resin? For example I have an earring, and the metal part has accidently become dirty from resin. What should I do to remove the resin from the metal part without damaging the metal material? I was removing it with my nails, but it is not good, because I always scratch the material. Is there some kind of chemical or some way to solve my problem?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Johanka,

I’m afraid I don’t have a good answer for you once the resin has cured. I like to check my pieces in the soft cure stage. At this point, you can generally peel away resin that is in a spot it shouldn’t be. You can try soaking in acetone, but I find this damages the metal more than trying to pull it off with your fingernail. If you are going to try this, you should knowing you may ruin the metal.

You can try freezing your piece. The extra resin might scrape off easier after being in the freezer for 10 minutes or so.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Removing resin for cleaning’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube