Removing tacky resin from a bezel

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes from Bonnie by way of our blog:

Is there ant way to remove sticky resin from a bezel so I can try again…didnt mix enough.

Katherine Swift

Bonnie,

Depending on how sticky your bezel is, there are a couple of things you can try.

If its just stick on the surface, you can see if you can pry it off with some chain nose pliers.  Sometimes you can get it off to break off into one (or several) pieces.

You can also try a coarse sandpaper.  Be careful, of course, not to damage your bezel.

If your resin is sticky goo, the only success I have had getting that resin off is with sandpaper (if youre talking on the outside of the bezel) or a diamond bur attached to my flex shaft (for getting goo out of the inside of the bezel).  It is impossible to get all of the gooey resin out, so I just get enough out to have room to put in more inclusions or cover up the goo left inside the pendant with colored resin.

If youre down to throwing it in the trashcan as the last option, you may try some acetone to see what happens.  I have never done this, but would probably be my next step.  A few safety precautions though, wear nitrile gloves and do this is a very well ventilated area.

Good luck (and let me know how it turns out).

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Removing tacky resin from a bezel’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube