Resin a milky colour on top

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Jade

Hi everyone!

Im relatively new to resin casting but I really enjoy it and have had some successful outcomes.
      Later I was trying to fill these tiny bottles with resin and have head beads floating in them. I planned to mix blue and pink glitter into the resin.
      So I started off filling the bottles just under half way with a glitter and resin mixture, leaving them for a few hours then dropping the beads in. Unfortunately though I quickly realised something was wrong as, once Id poured resin into the bottles, the top of the substance seemed to go all cloudy and milky :(. I couldnt really save the bottles so I went ahead and let them cure hoping it would clear out but sadly they did not.
      Heres what they looked like when done.
      They were supposed to come out a bit like this prototype –
      ^This was one of the first things I made, I had to pour the resin in using a jug and sprinkled the glitter after. When I went to make the proper ones I mixed Decoart Craft Twinkles into the resin before pouring and then used a silicone funnel to accurately pour the resin so it didnt get on the sides of the bottle.
      Im thinking that the cloudy colouring is either caused by the bottles not being completely dry (I rinsed them out with a bit of water and left them to dry prior to pouring the resin) OR I used a bit of baby oil on the funnel to try and prevent the resin from sticking and maybe that mixed into the resin once it hit the bottle.
      Any ideas? I just want to try and figure this out before I have a go at making more cos I now have to throw out 8 bottles because they are too poor quality to use on necklaces. 🙁
      Thank you!
      Katherine Swift

Hi Jade,

Yes, the cloudy resin is most likely because of water or oil contamination.  If you need to clean your bottles, I would suggest rinsing them with rubbing alcohol after the water to dry out any water leftover.  A blast from a heat gun wouldnt be a bad idea either.

The resin should flow through the funnel fine — baby oil wont make a difference.  Try it without the oil next time.

Let us know how the new batch works!

Jade

Hi again

Seems I am still getting an issue with cloudiness which is a shame. There is no layer on top now but the whole mold is cloudy –
      Im now beginning to wonder if its the decoart glitter paint (I hope not since I bought a bunch of the stuff). The glitter has all collected at the bottom (I still dont know how to resolve this, Ive used other glitters before and they all do the same).
      The paint Im using.
      Anymore tips to try and resolve this? Thanks!
      Jade

The resin definitely doesnt do it when mixed alone, Ive used it before and its been fine.

What doesnt make sense to me is why the first time I tried this design it was ONLY cloudy on top (when the glitter paint was mixed through the same way, only difference was I used baby oil in the funnel which I didnt do the second time round) and the base was all clear how I wanted.
      Im really really perplexed by this, it doesnt make much sense.
      Also any tips on stopping glitter from drifting to the bottom/retaining its colour?
      Thanks!
      Katherine Swift

I cant explain why glue only made it cloudy on top the first time, but all the way through on subsequent castings.  Strange!

As for glitter, it will sink to the bottom of your castings if its heavy enough.  Have you seen the microglitters we sell:  https://www.resinobsession.com/ItemPage/8864/Stampendous-Micro-Glitter.html  Its a very fine consistency and wont sink in your resin.  You can also see it as compared to some of our other glitters and micas in this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNEIM4zv-yw&list=UUq9DbnfK7sFPe9kcUEtVYaQ

Katherine Swift

Hi Jade,

Im thinking the glitter paint is whats causing your problem.  To be sure, try mixing a batch of resin only and see if it goes cloudy.  If it doesnt, then its the paint.  If it does, then we can troubleshoot some other ideas.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin a milky colour on top’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube