Resin and Lavender

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Willow

Hello!

I am new to casting and am trying my hand at putting sprigs of lavender in a shallow silicon mold. I was wondering if anyone has any special tricks for preventing or getting out bubbles from complex plant sprigs like lavender that have many bubble catching hiding places within the multiples leaves and blooms. I have tried jiggling it with a tooth pick and using a heat gun but there are always some clinging in between leaves that I can’t get to.

Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I would suggest dipping the lavender in the resin first and allowing some to drip off. This will break the surface tension and make it less likely you introduce bubbles into the your final casting.

Willow

Thank you. I will try it!

Sarah may

Hello,
      I am a resin rookie and have a question about sealing flowers/plants before putting in resin. I’m thinking of using lavender and know I have to dry it first but then do I need to seal it before putting it in the resin? Thank you!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Yes, you will definitely need to seal it first. Since it is rather intricate, a couple layers of our resin gloss sealer spray will work well. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray Spray a side, then let it dry 15 to 20 minutes. Rotate and spray another side. I would suggest a minimum of two coats and go for three if you aren’t sure you got it completely covered. Spray in light bursts, otherwise, it may get gummy on the flowers.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin and Lavender’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube