Resin and Mod Podge

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Sandy:

I just poured acrylic paint mixed with mod podge into shallow coasters. Maybe 1/8 inch thick. Does the mod podge need to be fully cured before resin can be poured over to seal and waterproof it, or can I pour the resin on as long as the layer of mod podge has hardened enough that is wont sink down or mix with the resin and upset the poured artwork layer?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sandy,

The Mod Podge needs to be completely dry before pouring the resin, otherwise it will make the resin cloudy. Depending on the humidity where you live, this could take several days, especially if you used a lot of Mod Podge.

Veronica Arellano

I poured resin into a silicone mold for round clusters and used alcohol inks for design. Was wondering if after it cures can I spray Mod Podge over the coasters? Will it ruin them in the long run?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I don’t know. I have never tried that.

Why do you want to spray Mod Podge on them? What are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps I can recommend an alternative.

Elizabeth

Hello,
      I am making round resin coasters. I am putting a layer of Mod Podge on the hardened resin and putting a coat of Mod Podge on the card stock paper and placing it on top of the resin. I also apply the layer of the Mod Podge on the back of the card stock and letting it dry before I apply another layer of resin. I used the matte finish for the Mod podge but I am noticing that my coasters are still coming out shiny on the picture side and I see streaks. What am I doing wrong?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

You may be seeing streaks from placing the Mod Podge on the resin. Have you tried it without that step?

Ayla Grady

hello, I’m just starting out using resin and epoxy to try to make little jewelry pieces with gemstones inside and they are coming out of the silicone molds looking cloudy,I was wondering if you think putting mod podge over it would help clear up some of that cloudy look?

Bernadette

I am making a table with pictures on it. I glued the pictures down but a few of the pictures are from magazines and the corners of the pictures didn’t stick down. My husband went ahead and put resin on top of them even though a few of the picture’s edges aren’t laying flat. So now I have a thin layer of resin on top of my pictures and the corners of three of the pictures are sticking up. How am I able to fix this?
      Thank you!
      Bernadette

Presley

hello, I am making an epoxy river table and sealed my pieces with mod podge before pouring my epoxy and I was wondering the epoxy will still stick to the wood and hold it together in the middle after being sealed with the mod podge.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Presley, I would expect it to work well.

Layna

I have some colored coloring pages I’m looking to decoupage onto some wooden coasters but then want to cover them in resin.

Can I use spray mod Podge to seal the decoupage then coat it with resin? Does the spray mod Podge act differently than the paste in relation to resin?

I’m using waterbased markers for the coloring pages and I’ve tried to seal them with the paste and it smears (coloring pages are completely dry) so I’d need to use spray.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I’m afraid I don’t know. I’ve never used spray Mod Podge.

Cheyenne Reams

Hello,
      I am using ceramic tiles and photo paper pictures to make coasters. I am glueing the photos down with Mod Podge and then waiting a few hours and then covering with art resin. But the edges keep coming up on the pictures. What am I doing wrong? Should I glue down with something other than mod podge ?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Cheyenne,

That’s kinda strange! You might want to try longer for the Mod Podge to dry. I like to wait at least 12 hours before applying resin.

Fiona

Hello!
      I’m making a train diorama with a resin river and realized I have matte mod podge and not high gloss. I was hoping to use the mod podge to make ripples and realistic water effects but am concerned it will look muddy with the matte finish. Unless I order online and wait a month for a new bottle to come in, what would be the reccomended substitute or other process of getting similar effects? Thanks in advance!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Fiona, what about using a little bit of colored resin to look like waves?

Fiona

Hi Katherine, could you explain further? I’m new to resin and still learning techniques.

Mikaela

Hi there, I am doing a project where I am making a picture table (printing photos and gluing them to a plastic trestle table). I was wondering if i covered my photos in decoupage glue first, will the resin stick to the glue or will it peel off?
      Thanks in advance!!

Ellow

Hi, I’m planning to try using resin for the first time, and the little earrings I want to make require glueing tiny stones to the inside of a resin cup. I’ll also be gluing a bead onto the stones. Would this be able to stick together with mod podge?

Kristen

Hi I am making a board with some pictures that I glued down with mod podge. I was planning on using a resin over it but I am wondering if I should do a layer of mod podge over the pictures before the resin? Or should I pour the resin straight on the photo prints? Any suggestions?

Madde

I made epoxy resin keychains but when I took them out they were flexible and bendable. Could I spray mod Podge on them to make them harder or would that not work? Any suggestions to make it harden?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Madde,

I’m afraid Mod Podge isn’t going to make your resin charms any stronger.

It sounds like it could be the resin. Which brand are you using?

Madde

I am using easy cast clear casting epoxy by castin’craft

Bertha Barrientos

Hi
      I just epoxy a glitter tumbler but my glitter shifted a little can i re apply modhe podge over and redo it or do i have to strip the cup?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Bertha,

I think trying Mod Podge is a good idea. You can always strip the cup if it doesn’t work.

Denise Dilny

Wondering if I put clear epoxy over wood can I then put the photo on the epoxy instead of right on the wood? I cant get my paper to come off the wood directly nice enough, I keep pulling chunks of the photo off so thinking it needs to be smoother?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I haven’t done that, but I would expect it to work.

Judy Davies

Can U mod podge over epoxy resin coasters that have cured?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Sure! But you will see streaks. Are you going to recoat with another layer of resin?

Toree

I have painted over a plastic hairbrush and coated it with a layer of (shiny) mod podge mix with glitter. I want to finish it with a coat of epoxy resin mixed with a little bit of glitter. But my only concern is that the epoxy will peel up with the mod podge after it dries or the resin will peel off when it dries. I also want to know if I should apply the resin in thin layers, or just pour resin over the brush.

Kanesha

i was wondering if after sanding my cured resin if i can polish it with mod podge(Gloss)?

Wanda Nieves

I am currently making coaster with tiles. I used tissue paper hand have mod podge the tile…can I use resin on top? And is resin waterproof and heat resistant?

Lilli

I am making some wooden block animals on my scroll saw for a baby gift – they are about 1.5 inches thick on the cut surfaces. I wanted to resin the pieces, but am finding that the resin is extremely difficult to get to stick to the cut surfaces of the animals (because of the self leveling properties). It’s beautiful on the flat sides. Could I use glossy modge podge on the cut surfaces and resin on the flat sides and have them bond together at the corners? Will there be an obvious distinction in the finishes? Any other suggestions for the cut surfaces?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

You can, but it’s not going to cover in as thick a layer as resin, but I do agree that it will be easier to apply.

Arianna Taylor

Can I use mod podge as an alternative to sanding between coats of epoxy? If I sand my cured piece it will take off the paint that I dropped/swirled into the first layer of epoxy but I want to dome it to make it look more finished/polished…what do I do??
      If not mod podge, do you think a layer of paint or clear spray coat would provide sufficient tooth for the epoxy???

Zahra Jafferali

Hey,

I have noticed over time resin pieces (especially phone cases) that I have made loses its shine and becomes dull.
      Do you think if I use mod podge as a sealer the shine would remain? Or maybe clear nail polish?
      Any other suggestions?
      Thanks

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Zahra,

Have you thought about reapplying a layer of resin? Otherwise, our gloss sealer spray works great. You can buy it in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray

Yasmina El Khazen

Hello!
      What can I use to make my resin rings shiny?
      Can I use the Mod Podge super thick gloss?

Lynne

I am making coasters. I put on 2 layers of mod podge, letting it completely dry between layers. Then iron on the napkin, then another layer of mod podge. Leave yo dry then resin. I am having lots of trouble with little pits and bubbles coming up after the resin is dry. Is there anything i can do to avoid a second application of resin.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Lynne,

It sounds like you are getting bubbles from your napkin. Are you sealing it with the Mod Podge?

Loren M Bullitt

I have a drawing ive done using pencil colors and I want to apply it to a canvas or a piece of wood to make it more durable so I can add some resin effects to it. What would be the best way to glue the drawing down first and should i put a coating of white paint on my canvas/wood first?

Sequana

After I un molded my project 24 hours later the resin isn’t as hard as I expected it to be, is there anything I could possibly spray on it to harden it more?

Vince

Hi!
      I am using (or trying to use) mod podge to fill in a cavity in a craft I am working on. The mod podge clears really well, but in the middle of it there is always a dimple. I can’t seem to find a reason why this happens. Even on thin surfaces it has a dimple, and I never get a smooth surface.
      Any idea’s on why this happens and how to prevent it from happening in the future?

Em

I have silicone molds with letters on. I tried using mica powder to brush over the letters before putting the resin in but it bled which I expected. If I poured in the resin and let it set and then painted the letters with acrylic paint what would I put on top to seal the paint in? Is modpodge any good? Or could you recommend any good sealants for epoxy resin?

Cel

Hi! Im using mod podge to stick images on my coasters before I put a layer of resin to seal it. Im noticing that with some projects, especially when it’s clear or dark, the area I put the modpoge becomes cloudy and I think this is because the modpoge isn’t completely dry.

How long should I wait until putting the clear coat to prevent this from happening?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Cel,

I find that Mod Podge takes a couple of days to dry in humid climates.

Cel

Hi! Im using mod podge to stick images on my coasters before I put a layer of resin to seal it. Im noticing that with some projects, especially when it’s clear or dark, the area I put the modpoge becomes cloudy and I think this is because the modpoge isn’t completely dry.

How long should I wait until putting the clear coat to prevent this from happening?

EDWARD MEDRANO

I’m doing some tumblers and a bit skeptical on the modge podge. First layer is spray paint (white) followed by alcohol inks for a wood grain finish. I usually spray clear over the ink so it won’t smear but wanted to try the modge podge and epoxy after the modge podge is dry (around 12 hours). My concern is if the tumbler is used for hot drinks would that in time weaken the modge podge? I’m more a fan of just epoxy but willing to try the modge podge since it will be sealed with epoxy with the tumbler having the paint as the first layer. I just don’t want any returns but I would like to do away with the spray sealer.
      Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you,
      Ed Medrano

Kiersten

Hi, I’m making resin keychains and need some advice. If I glue my laminated picture down with modge podge on fully hardened resin and pour resin over it, just to make sure the picture lays down still, will the modge podge dry clear or should I use a different kind of glue? TIA!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Kiersten,

Your Mod Podge should dry clear. Let it fully dry for hours to days before applying the resin.

Ladi

I am making a glam mirror. with reflective glass and glitter. I am pretty sure I put the mod pudge on way to thick. its been 8 day in my garage and its still white. What can I do to get rid of the white? someone told me to pour liq glass over it but im not confident in that answer.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Ladi,

It sounds like the Mod Podge isn’t drying. It needs to go somewhere to ‘dehydrate’. Can you put it in a room with a dehumidifier?

catherine

I want to make a silicone mold with an item covered in Mod Podge – will this work?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Catherine,

Yes, this will work, but make sure to use a mold release on your item before molding it with silicone.

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin and Mod Podge’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube