Resin and Secret Wood pendants

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Meg

Hi, so Mother’s Day is almost a week away and I’m having trouble with my gift. I want to replicate those “Secret wood” pendants (using inspiration from YouTubers Smart Beast and Peter Brown) but I’m not having much luck. I don’t have access to heavy duty woodworking tools, other than a Dremel, sandpaper, and X-Acto knife kit. I keep trying my best but unfortunately that’s not enough. Last attempt the tape surrounding the wood bulged under the resin and created an uneven surface that I can’t sand away by hand. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, so any help and/or ideas for a new gift would be appreciated. Thank you!

*side note – I’m fairly experienced with resin, sculpting, jewelry making, and mold making, so no worries about the difficulty of projects.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Are you working with a mold? I’m having a hard time visualizing what you are casting the resin into.

Meg

No mold. What is supposed be done is wrap the wood blank with packing and/or duct tape to create walls for the resin to sit in. Smart Beast on YouTube has good visuals so you can understand better:-)

Meg

I have thought of that, but was worried about resin flowing under the wood, making it almost impossible to sand away by hand. Thank you for that recomendation though! I actually changed ideas, and instead am sculpting a custom pendant design, making a silicone mold, and, after casting the resin, setting Swarovski crystals in both mine and my mother’s birthstones. I’m sorry for so many questions, but what experience do you have on sanding resin? I go from a 150 grit, to a 400, to a wet 1200, AND buff with a cotton cloth, but my pieces almost always have deep scratches from sanding.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

You are on the right track, but keep sanding. I find that if you don’t end with a 1000 grit sandpaper or higher, you will see sanding marks.

Meg

I will make sure to do that! Thank you so much for all your help Katherine! Resin Obession helped my personal resin journey when I first started and is still helping me to this day! Keep up the good work 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin and Secret Wood pendants’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube