Resin artwork finish is matte

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Ricky:

I hope you can advise as I’m new to art work and Resin which is something I do as a hobby since retiring. I’ve recently covered some small pieces of art work on canvas with Resin (Pebeo Resin) and left for 24 hours. 2 pieces I’m very pleased with but the other 2 were a little disappointing. One had a slight line mark in which I presume is how it dried and the other although it covered very well it dried a Matt finish. Is there any reason that you know that may have caused this. The 2 other pieces were very good with a gloss finish. The covering for all was from the same mix and art works were placed on a table top within a few inches of each other so room temperature was the same for all. The only thing I can say is that the one dried Matt finish was on a small canvas that was a black canvas rather than like the others which were all white base. Hoping that you may be able to advise a way forward so that I dont experience the same problems again. Thanking you kindly in anticipation

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Ricky,

As for the piece with the line, I would suspect the resin started to cure before it was completely level. I have not used Pebeo resin for this purpose. I would want to be sure it is a doming resin. If not, what you are describing is typical. You will want to try a different doming resin for this project. The Resin Obsession artwork resin would be great for this. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-artwork-resin If it is a doming resin, another coat over the entire piece should level things out.

As for the matte finish on the other piece, does the resin look matte on the surface only or does it look matte all the way through?

Ricky McCarthy

The small black canvas (65 x65mm) art work covered by Pebeo Resin has dry Matt and in rechecking to answer your question: the overall flat surface looks Matt finish throughout to the canvas although on checking the overspill on the edges on the canvas seem to be more gloss finish which is what I would like to have seen on the canvas main surface. Since raising the query with you I have now applied another coat over the actual art design only and not the complete canvas and this has dried a gloss finish which is what I would have like to see with the overall initial coating.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

With the additional information, it sounds like there is something on the surface of your canvas that is causing the matte finish (as opposed to a contaminant in the resin that is causing the cloudiness) You may want to give your artwork more time to dry before applying the resin.

Ricky McCarthy

I have another black canvas so I will try again thank you, although I had left the art work which was also done in pebeo paints well over 24 hours to dry (following the recommended instructions)along with the other pieces that had good results. I’ll keep you informed how it goes this second time of doing On the black canvas. Thanking you kindly.

Ricky McCarthy

Hi Katherine, sorry about delay in getting but family illness prevented at the to do some art work. I’ve now started again and the first piece of black canvas has been a success but I did use a blow torch for the first time but was very pleased with the result. So following on from this decided to do another 2 small black canvas but without the blow torch and although they have dried gloss which I’m pleased about they have dried with very slight cracked lines when you look in certain lights. So overall improvements but what are your thoughts on using the blow torch even on small pieces of canvas art work or should I change the pebeo resin that I’ve been using. Thank you again in anticipation for your help and guidance on this issue I’m experiencing, regards Ricky McCarthy

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

It sounds like the torch is working for you. I would stick with that.

Ricky McCarthy

Thank you Katherine for your reply. Yes I will continue to use the torch and see how the results are each time. Once I’ve mastered the small canvas sizes I have a large art work that I want to eventually Resin over so I look forward to my challenge of learning and completing my large art work. I will keep in touch as I have found this forum with your help a great learning curve so many thanks, take care Ricky

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin artwork finish is matte’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube