Resin as protective layer over glass?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Deanna Dionne

Hi! I’ve been making jewelry from cracked tempered glass. On large pieces of glass, I put a layer of resin over them to help protect the glass.

Here are the issues I’m having with epoxy resin. 1) It can easily peel off the glass 2) It gets dirty against sweaty skin 3) yellowing 4) I can’t always get a solid cure for a thin coating 5) heat (against skin?) seems to make it have some “give”

I’ve never been truly successful in getting a solid cure for epoxy resin, after like a dozen attempts, buying fresh resin, etc.

Although polyester casting resin isn’t ideal for coating, it solves many of my problems. It always cures hard, super clear without yellowing, does NOT peel off the glass. My only issue is that a thin coating sometimes doesn’t dry even, there can be a somewhat uneven texture (perhaps due to seepage into cracks of the glass).

Is there something I’m missing for the perfect glass coating? Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Deanna,

Let’s start with the polyester resin. Yes, it works well for mixing with glass. (I used to do it for a series of pendants.) It does tend to be very fussy in thin layers, especially if they are less than 1/8 inch. It also does not self-level, which explains the uneven texture you describe.

A few questions to see if perhaps we can find you a better epoxy.

1. Are you using the resin to dome onto the surface of the glass? i.e. are there sides or no sides to keep the resin on the surface?
      2. Is there any coating on the glass?
      3. What kind/brand of epoxy resin have you tried?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Resin as protective layer over glass?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube