Resin Breastplate

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Katherine Swift 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Henry

Recently, I’ve taken up a project to make a resin breastplate. Basically, I’m making a mold of a friends torso, and then casting that in plaster. I was wondering if there was a way I could apply the resin to the plaster torso so that it doesn’t drip off. Is there any resin I can use that I can apply in thin layers? How strong will it be?

#7908 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Henry, I want to be sure I understand you correctly.

1. You want to apply resin to a plaster form?
    2. May I ask why you want to do that? Is is to provide extra support or something else?

#7935 Reply

Henry

Yah I want to apply resin to a plaster form. I want to apply the resin to the plaster form and then take it off (id put a layer of lubricant between the plaster and resin).

I’m worried about the resin dripping off the plaster and changing the form. Im also worried about the resin being strong enough itself.

#7939 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Henry,

I’m afraid plaster isn’t going to work well for your purpose. It isn’t flexible enough to release the resin.

Instead, I would recommend you work with the team at Smooth On. http://www.smooth-on.com. They have products specifically designed for this (costumes, cosplay, etc.). I am thinking to use one of their silicone products to brush onto your friend as the mold, then cast the resin with that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Resin Breastplate
Your information: