Resin buffing ideas

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Lucy:

My resin is coming out with markings on the side that is in the mould when I take it out. The mould is completely clear, there are no marks inside, and I gently tap the mould when I pour to make sure the resin is even and its on an even surface, do you have any idea what the problem could be? Can you sand the front of the resin? usually I only do the back, (and havent managed to get it completely right yet) but when I bought a tool to buff, even on the lightest speed it left marks on the resin.
      Any suggestions for buffing tools?

Katherine Swift

Hi Lucy,

Im not sure why your resin would be coming out with marks on the side.  You didnt mention if you were using a plastic or silicone mold.  I would make sure to use a good mold release for either, which may help demolding future castings.

You also didnt mention what kind of resin you were using.  Since youre getting scuff marks, I would suspect youre using epoxy.  Epoxy resins are relatively soft and dont do well when buffed with a tools and compound.  To get a shiny surface again, here are a few suggestions:  recoating with another layer of resin, coating with a layer of our resin gloss sealer spray, buffing by hand with our Novus polishing kit.  The first two options are more labor intensive, but will give you the shiniest results.  Using the Novus polishing kit is almost as good, but can be done in a couple of minutes.

Good luck!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin buffing ideas’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube