resin cast within a resin cast is it possible?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris

I tried to cast a mold with another resin cast set inside of it and it seem to dissolve leaving a faint outline of the original piece being a different color. Is this the thermal reaction reacting with the inset piece? If so, is there a way to stop this from happening? I’m trying to cast a smaller and different color transparent resin cast into a larger mold while maintaining the detail of the smaller piece, is this possible? Just another newbie question. thanks in advance…

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Chris,

What kind/brand of resin did you use for the smaller cast and the second cast?

Chris

Both resins used were resin obsessions super clear resins each tinted a different color.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Chris,

I wouldn’t expect this to be a problem, so here are two possibilities as to what could be going on:

1. If you are mixing more than the 3 ounce maximum mixing amount, the resulting mixture will get hot quickly. In that case, I could see the inner item melt or distort.

2. There could be trapped air between the inner cast and the outer cast. How are you introducing the inner cast to the mold?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘resin cast within a resin cast is it possible?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube