resin casting of stag beetle?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jon

I’m finding it quite difficult to find the exact information needed trying to google this subject, but since this seems to be a site catering to resin casting, then perhaps you can help.

I do entomology as a hobby during the summer especially. This year, I acquired some nice male & female stag beetle specimens, and I’d like to resin cast these. The beetles are fairly large, about 2.5″ long with 0.5″ width.

Here are my questions:

1) To prevent silvering, releasing of water into the resin, etc, what’s a good way to dry these beetles and for how long? My thought is to place them in a container containing silica gel and sealed for a month. I might also “gut” the beetles beforehand, but had hoped to avoid it.

2) I’m looking for a resin that won’t yellow over time. Most of the brands I see start showing yellowing within a year after being made. Suggestions?

3) What would be a suitable mold for the resin casts?

Any other information would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jon,

I will do my best to answer your questions.

1. Preserving beetles (or any other insect for that matter) is not something I have experience with. I can tell you that it needs to be as dry as possible before encasing in resin.

2. Unfortunately, all resins are going to yellow over time. Resins with UV inhibitors and stabilizers help extend the time before yellowing occurs. However, things such as mixing off ratio (even though it still can cure without tackiness), putting over an improperly cured lacquer, excessive heat, and or constant exposure to sunlight can speed up the yellowing process. How long a resin will last in its clear state is very difficult to predict.

3. Any silicone or plastic mold designed for resin purposes should work for you project. You simply need to decide on a size. We have a large selection here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/molds You can narrow down the choices by using the dropdown tag menu at the upper left of the category.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘resin casting of stag beetle?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube