Resin charms getting white dots after sanding

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Pam:

I’ve just started sanding some items that have colorant added to them. When I start sanding, I see white spots (see picture). Why is this happening. And, do you know where to get sandpaper in the higher grits of 1000, 2000, 3000, etc.

white dots in resin

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Pam,

Here’s what I think is going on. The white dots were probably bubbles that didn’t pop before the resin cured. Once you start sanding, you open these bubbles up and they become cavities. I’m guessing you are dry sanding these pieces? This looks like resin dust that has settled into the cavities. I recommend sanding the pieces underwater (the piece — not you — haha). The water will catch the dust and will keep it from settling into the voids. Keep sanding the back/edge until the voids are completely gone. If you want to see an example of how I sand pieces underwater, here is a link to a youtube video: https://youtu.be/51kSn5Xqfw8

As for the fine grit sandpaper, I have had good luck getting it from an automotive parts store.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Resin charms getting white dots after sanding’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube