Resin cured but looks like water has dried on top of it

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Marina

The first attempt to fix the problem was because part of the resin cured slightly sticky. I thought the problem could be fixed by the wiping it down with an alcohol wipe but it just made it worse. I sanded down the top layer, wiped the area clean with a damp cloth and poured another clear coat. But now part of it looks like dirty water has dried on top of it. Should I sand it down again and pour another layer?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Marina,

I’m sorry you are having these problems. What kind/brand of resin are you using?

Marina

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for the reply! I’m using a brand called Graffiti Resin. I’ve used it before many times and I never faced any issues with it, not sure what happened this time.

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

I’m not familiar with Graffiti resin. What kind is that? (epoxy, polyester, etc.)

Marina

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for the reply! I’m using a brand called Graffiti Resin. I’ve used it before many times and I never faced any issues with it, not sure what happened this time.

Marina

It’s an epoxy resin. Mixes at a 10:6 ratio resin to hardener.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Marina,

Yes, sand it down again and pour another layer. Make sure to end with a 1000 grit or higher sandpaper, otherwise, you will see frostiness underneath the new layer of resin.

Marina

Hi Katherine,
        Thank you so much for your reply! I’ll try doing that today.

Heather Hinkle

I poured too much and it has distorted and massive amounts of bubbles. Not any space to repour over if I sand it. Is there anything I can do? Please help

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Heather, I’m afraid there isn’t a way of getting bubbles out of cured resin. Can you repour and add something to the new layer to distract from the bubbles?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin cured but looks like water has dried on top of it’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube