Resin loosing its color

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from M:

i’ve recently started doing colored resin blocks (30cm x 20cm x 4cm) for bronze lamps. They look good. I use 2-part resin, the best quality I can find in Peru. My clients need durable products. My main concern is the durability of the COLOR. When I started, I had experience with food dyes. I’d previously casted 2 blocks, one orange and one green. 2 years after and nether had lost a bit of color! They were magnificent. So i used these again. Different brand. Oh my god, terrible results, in a month some colors has began to fade. I had to forget about selling them. I’ve recently used powder-pigments for glass, and though they don’t leave the resin totally clear, i can say that after 8 months the color is just as new. My question to you is which type/brand of pigment is best to KEEP THEIR COLORS in the longrun? I’m not that interested in getting 100% clear results, I actuallt incorporate “imperfections”. But the one imperfection I cannot allow is to have te colors fading over time. I’m considering everything: oil, acrylic, varnish, food dyes, resin-specific. I see you’ve tried several. How did they keep their colors over time? Thanks very much.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Max,

The best advice I can give you is to use colors designed for the resin you are using. Manufacturers, including Resin Obsession, test colors to make sure they are compatible with resin and will stay that same color for a long time. You can buy colors for resin in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/colorants

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Resin loosing its color’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube