Resin losing color

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Chris:

Im at the pulling my hair out stage with my resin issue.

When I mix up my poly resin with a nice color it looks great.  I tried a lovely red mix yesterday and was so pleased with it.  However (yet again) when I added metals to the mix in the mold, I could literally see the color drain away.  The item came out from the mold completely clear.  No color whatsoever!  Can you or anyone explain to me what on earth am I doing wrong?

Second question is how can I achieve a nice ripple or cracked effect on the outside of my items? 

Thank you so much. 

Katherine Swift

Hi Chris,

When resin is mixed with hardener, a chemical reaction occurs.  Throw in colors, metals, etc and many things can happen.  Unfortunately, my best guess is that your resin and/or color is reacting with the metal.  I have had this happen to my resin when I used purple color spectrum alcohol inks in my resin.  In my experience, its a bit unusual that metal by itself would cause the problem.  What are you using for your red color pigment?  That would be the first thing I would investigate.

I havent tried creating a crackle effect on resin, but I would suggest trying acrylic paint to recreate the effect.  You might also want to check with the group at Smooth On.  They have a lot of experience with creating large scale resin pieces for props and such.  They probably have some suggestions.

Chris

Thank you for your reply.

The color I was using was this one:
      Castin Craft Red Transparent Dyes.  
      I have purchased a few all together and have had the same trouble with the red, blue, green  and the purple blend that I put together.  I would have thought that this brand was pretty standard and good quality.  But the color just drains on me.
      Do you think it could it be anything to do with my molds?  Or the Florida humidity?
      Thank you.
      Katherine Swift

Hi Chris,

Those are good colors to use in resin, so Im suspicious of another chemical reaction going on.  What kind of resin are you using and what can you tell me about the metal?

Chris

Thanks so much for your help.

The metal is simply a batch that I purchased and as far as I know, its stainless steel pieces.  
      The resin is called S41 Polyester casting resin.
      Everyone I have spoken to seems baffled!
      Thanks again for any input.
      Katherine Swift

Hi Chris,

Let me ask the manufacturer of the liquid dye if they have any suggestions.

Katherine Swift

Hi Chris,

The manufacturer of the dyes said while they work with their brand of polyester resin, they cant guarantee they will work with other brands.

Personally, Ive never had a problem with the Castin Craft dyes not working with other resins, so Im still betting on some kind of chemical reaction once the metal is added.

melissa

Thank you for your comments , for crackle effect try the crackle nail polish you can get creative with colors. Whats also worked is the foil nail by applying the adhesive let dry to tacky then transferring on with the foil or transfer paper. To seal you can use the top coat gel nail polish cures under any LED light. Make sure everythings dry before top coat. Id urge looking into nail art techniques for finishing. I am still very new to all of this but I figure why not combine techniques!

Chris

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

I havent found the solution yet but will keep plodding on!!!
      T

This is an old thread, but I use Silmar exclusively and have used both the CC colors and stainless steel in my casts without the issue you describe.

Can you reveal the source of your stainless? Im guessing it might have a surface treatment applied and causing an issue.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin losing color’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube