Resin not setting smoothly in silicone mold

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Connor Donkin

Using a silicone bread mold as a mold, the mold are 11″ long x 2.5″ wide and 1.75″ deep. This requires a lot of material to use so everytime I’m doing it its goung to waste as when the resin is removed from the mold it appears to have Mark’s all over the top. The marks look like wet Mark’s or veins in the resin. The mold is perfectly smooth so was wondering what could be going wrong? Thanks

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Connor, it sounds like you may not be mixing the resin thoroughly enough. What kind/brand are you using?

Connor Donkin

Thanks for the reply, it is a water clear casting resin, just a basic set off Ebay. I did use a metal mold too and they came out fine but it is smaller than the silicone one. Thanks

Connor Donkin

HI, I forgot to mention that its not set in the resin, it’s on top and around the sides. On the top surfaces it’s got the marks like rough patches that look like water Marks or veins on top

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Connor,

Is your casting resin a polyester resin? If so, it sounds like it’s getting too hot. Try using less hardener.

Connor Donkin

Yes it’s a polyester resin, I’ve been using 2% but I will try 1% instead, thanks

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin not setting smoothly in silicone mold’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube