Resin On Resin Forgot To Tape Bottom

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      lindylex

I forgot to tape my resin piece on the bottom before poring resin on the other side. Now I have resin drips on my previously finished dried side. How would you repair this? I could sand it but to get a glossy finish means I will need to polish. I can not find a polish that is food safe and this is the main issue since I will eat on this.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Oh no, Lindylex. How awful!

You’re going to have to sand the drips off, then recoat with another layer of food safe resin. This is the one I would use: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/foodsafe

lindylex

Katherine Swift, I know sanding is your favorite and doing it is my cry for help. How high of a grit do I go with sanding? I was thinking start with 220 ending with 15000. Sanding dull things. Would the newly poured resin on top still be dull? Will I get a crystal clear look to see my original artwork below? This really is a question of how resin fills in gaps when layered after sanding below layers and how light reflects in resin.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Lindylex,

Yes, start with a 220, but I’ve always found that ending with 1000 grit is enough that marks won’t show underneath a new layer of resin.

As long as your drips are sanding down below 1/8 inch, a new layer of resin will fill in nicely. This article explains more: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/fix-holes-and-dents-in-resin/

(and I don’t like sanding. LOL!!)

lindylex

I really like sanding, A LOT. Thanks for the information. I did read that page before. It has great information.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin On Resin Forgot To Tape Bottom’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube