Resin over acrylic painting

• This topic has 9 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years ago by Sarah Kerry.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Elin

Hi,
      I like to paint in acrylic on canvas and I’d like to try making a pendant/cabochon for a necklace using a small acrylic painting (perhaps on canvas paper?) and covered in resin. Is this possible without distorting or smearing the dried acrylic painting underneath? What should I do to prep the painting prior to using resin? Has anyone done this before?
      Thank you!
      Elin

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Elin,

I have done this before without sealing the acrylic painting and been happy with the results. I suggest the Resin Obsession artwork resin. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-artwork-resin It is a doming resin and will give a very clear finish.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

As long as the acrylic paint is fully dry, you don’t need to seal before pouring the resin.

Elin Lewis

Thank you. That helps!

Dawn

I pour resin over acrylic paintings with resin without sealing the paintings first and they come out beautifully. Good luck!

Michele Embry

Resin over acrylic paint is phenomenal!

I paint and love what resin does for my canvases. I haven’t tried it on paper yet.

Concerns:
      1-current resin product I use seems to be prone to scratches…any suggestions for a more scratch resistant finish with the total cast resin?
      2-can the total cast resin withstand being mixed with acrylic paint?

For new users….measure each product in separate containers….mix mix mix

If ratios are off and/or product is not thoroughly mixed, the product can’t do what it is supposed to do.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

You are getting scratches with the TotalCast resin? Are you using it on artwork or something else?

I would expect acrylic paint to work, just know if you add too much there will be curing issues.

Michele Embry

No…lol.

I’m currently using a product that’s not yours.

I happened to see an ad for your product and was checking out the info.

I work large pieces and if they are stacked they tend to get scratches.
      Is your resin sctratch resistant or do I have to rake another step?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Michele,

This isn’t scratch-proof but you’ll have to try hard to get it to show scratches just by stacking paintings.

Sarah Kerry

I am using acrylic to paint on slices of wood (had to do something with that tree he cut down) and was wondering which resin would be best for this project.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin over acrylic painting’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube