Resin painting questions

Home Page Forums Resin Techniques Resin painting questions

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

These questions come from Mimi:

I’ve been following ALL (possibly) your work and you’ve been such amazing help and inspiration! I’m writing from far away in Asia and I have a few question hoping you can help! =)

1. For your dirty pour mixed with the resin and colours. Are the epoxy and resin the same thing and do you use epoxy with your dirty pour? What are the things I need to bare in mind when using epoxy. Are they the same thing with same result for dirty pour?

2. I am thinking of using wood base for dirty pour, do I need to prepare any layer before anything on the surface?

3. If using canvas, making my own canvas from cloth. Do I need to prepare any layer before dirty pour?

4. The alcohol you add to your resin, what are the different types of alcohol I can choose and which should I avoid using? Does the effect come out the same with epoxy and resin?

5. Resin/epoxy dries fast in cold condition?

6. If using a brush to paint with resin/epoxy, what should I use to clean the brush?

7. For the amount of art work you’ve done. For my info, how many kg/bottles do you use per week/month? As I would like to get started in resin art as a constant.

Thank you so much! Hope you can help me with these questions =) !!!

Have a great day!!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Mimi,

Thank you for your kind words. Answers to your questions are below:

1. Epoxy is a kind of resin. Epoxy is a resin, but not all resins are epoxy. This blog post breaks down some of the most common resins used: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/what-are-the-different-types-of-resin When using epoxy resin (or any resin for that matter), you want to make sure you measure accurately and mix thoroughly. That is 3/4 of the battle to making sure it cures properly.

2. If using wood as the base for your resin painting, you will need to coat it with a neutral colored primer first.

3. If you are going to paint on canvas, you need to make sure the canvas is also coated as well. A gesso coating will work to keep the resin from soaking into the canvas.

4. I haven’t used alcohol in resin, but I have seen resin painters use denatured alcohol to create some of their unique effects.

5. Unfortunately, resin does not cure well if at all in cold temperatures. Your casting area needs to be 70 to 75F to make sure it cures.

6. When I use a brush with resin, I like to clean it with professional grade acetone. Once I clean it well with the acetone, I will wash the brush well with a good quality soap.

7. The amount of resin you use will determine how many paintings you want to do. I would certainly suggest starting with some small projects to make sure you like it and feel comfortable with mixing resin before making a big investment. Our resin calculator can give you some estimates on how much resin you will need based upon the size of your painting surface: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-calculator/

Happy to help!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This article explains how to get started painting with resin: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-art/epoxy-art/

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin painting questions’ is closed to new replies.