Resin pieces tearing silicone mold

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Lucy

I’m still very new to resin and just recently have been having trouble with my pieces in silicone molds. When I go to take my cured pieces out of the mold, they’re stuck to the silicone in some spots, and when I finally get the piece out, there is now tears in the silicone and silicone stuck to the cured piece of resin. It’s happened in three different silicone molds I have.

I’m just not sure what I’m doing wrong.. Is it because I didn’t mix correctly or perhaps because the weather is getting colder? I also was wondering if it was because with these pieces, I did multiple layers of resin. I let one layer cure completely and then added another layer on top of that. Maybe I’m not supposed to do that?

Sorry in advance if this question has been answered already. Thank you!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Lucy,

I’m sorry to hear this is happening to you. Are you using a mold release? What resin are you using?

Lucy

Hi, thanks for replying!

I haven’t tried using a mold release and I use Alumilite Clear Cast resin that I bought from Michael’s.

Thank you in advance!

Molly

I just had this same problem with my silicone mold. One of the four castings in the mold got stuck and tore bits of silicone from the mold. How can I remove the silicone bits from the resin casting? Thanks for your help!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

You can try putting it in the freezer to see if the pieces become brittle enough to break off.

Molly Nicholson

I think I REALLY need a mold release for my silicone molds. What are the differences between Petrolease, Ultra4, and Cast n Craft? Is there one that works best with silicone molds? How long do you need to wait after spraying before you can pour in your resin? Thanks in advance!

Ryane Redgrave

Hi I have the same problem. I have used the same silicone jewelry molds numerous times. All of a sudden my resin is now sticking to the mold,which is causing tearing in the mold when I pull it off. I use art resin and a UV resin on occasion… not together. Still, some RIP, and then some will easily slide out.

Kimberly

I also have the same problem. The resin has torn up my alphabet silicone molds. Yesterday i tried rubbing the mold with cooking oil and then when it cured it came out completely cloudy. I also tried a new technique of spraying rubbing alcohol after i poured the resin in, to get rid of the bubbles. Im not sure what caused the cloudiness- the oil or the rubbing alcohol. I read online baby oil might work so i ordered that for my next run. But after seeing how this turned out im not sure if baby oil will work. Will petrolease cause the resin to be cloudy too?

Kashia

Hi there, I’ve recently encountered the same problem. I’ve been working with resin for a year, and last month I purchased a Bio Epoxy Resin by Change Climate to try out. It seemed to be working fine, then I noticed that my molds would have a whiter appearance to it where the resin had been – less translucent. I thought it could be some residue from the hardener, but when demolding the other day I found that the resin had completely stuck to some of the molds – like it had chemically combined where come into contact…I was so disappointed that these molds are ruined! It seemed like the bio resin sort of chemically broke down the silicone. Which sucks.

Does anyone have any experience with this? With Bio Epoxy Resin? Would love any advice or any sharing of knowledge on why this resin did that, and if others also react in the same way.

Cheers

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kashia,

Have you seen this article? https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-sticks-to-silicone/

It might give you some ideas as to what’s going on.

Michele

Hello. If my silicone mold is torn a little. (Has minimum tear from the resin and mold being stuck together) am I still able to use the mold?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin pieces tearing silicone mold’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube