Resin reaction?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Rachelle:

Hello, my question is whats the difference between envirotex pour on high gloss finish and envirotex easycast clear casting epoxy? Before i used easy cast to do jewelry made out of resin molds and never seemed to have a problem with inhalation or contact with resin. now that im using pour on it seems to be way stronger and i have more of a chemical reaction to the product. i actually burned my face, its swollen and dried out from over exposure to these strong fumes how can i keep my room more ventilated. i stress how important it is to have a good setup, flat surface, protected work area, good lighting and now constant air flow. what can i do to prevent this from reoccurring, how can i get my reaction to reduce.
      Ps i really love your products on ResinObession.com and want to continue to make jewelry the proper way if you could give me advice on tips and techniques. thank you so much.

Katherine Swift

Rachelle,

Before I answer this, first let me say that I am not a physician.

That being said, if this were happening to me, I would be highly concerned that I was having a reaction to the resin.  From what I know about epoxy resin allergic responses, they accumulate over time and some people have a different threshold for the product than others.  Personally, as a minimum, I always wear nitrile gloves when working with resin and make sure there is air circulating while working with resin (either a fan or fresh air through a window) in order to minimize contact with the resin.  If I do get the resin on me, I wash with a good detergent and warm water.  Do not use acetone or alcohol as this will only make it penetrate the skin deeper.

I don’t have any idea why the envirotex lite would all of a sudden be giving you a problem when the easy cast didn’t. 

As for what to do next, if it were me, I would see a medical professional and discontinuing resin use until things have resolved. When you do resume resin use, you may want to use a NIOSH respirator in addition to gloves and additional ventilation.  You may even have to consider a hood like what you use in a chemistry lab to make sure the fumes are immediately evacuated from your area.

Rhonda

Reactions can be dangerous.  If the skin is reacting like this, think what could be happening to the lungs if youre not using a respirator. The lungs can be damaged, or cause pneumonia.  Death is not unknown from reactions, due to swelling of the throat and lung tissues.  I stay away from these types of resins because I am sensitive to them and I am not confidant of my set-up.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin reaction?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube